Concerned....

dolce1968
on 6/8/15 12:57 pm

Hi Everyone

I had revision to RNY on March 24th 2015 from a VBG in the early 90s.

Doctor said all went great and, I feel great!

The problem is, I have had no side effects, foods that I am trying don't seem to bother me at all, I'm not vomitting, no more heartburn and have regular bowel movements.

I have only lost 27 pounds.

I've increased my water intake as that seemed to be a struggle and eating more fruit (melons, everything else is hard to digest)

I don't have snacks like cake, chips or chocolate, don't have nuts or anything sugary sweet except for the fruit.

I can eat chicken with no problems and veggies/salad with no issues

Any suggestions as to why it seems to be going so slow, is it normal?

ORIGINAL STOMACH STAPLING (VBG) 1994; FIRST REFERRAL REVISION - 2012 (LOST) SECOND REFERRAL REVISION (MAY 2014) ORIENTATION HRRH - July 2014; MEET R/N; NUTRI; SW - AUGUST 2014; 2nd APPT SW END OF AUGUST 2014; DR GLAZIER AUGUST 24 - DR HAGEN (Surgeon) SEPTEMBER 2014; DR HAGEN - MARCH 9th 2015 ; OPTI START MARCH 10 2015; REVISION SURGERY MARCH 24th 2015 HRRH (DR HAGEN)

CarlaN
on 6/8/15 2:03 pm

I am having the same issues. Feeling very scared that this "didn't work"!!  I had my first GB in 2004.  I had revision 4-27-15.  I have lost 26 pds and stopped losing as soon as I started eating regular food.  I am drinking my water , staying under 900 calories a day.  I just started exercising last week due to a nasty infection where I had tube in my stomach.  The only problem I have is if I don't chew REALLY well I get a horrible pain in my chest area.  I guess the food gets stuck.  I can eat chicken, fish, HB meat, I don't eat bread, sugar and keep my carbs low.  I just feel like I'm already stuck.  I did ask my Dr. a couple weeks ago and he said revision is always slower than the orginal.  He also said to stay on liquids as long as possible to make the most of the 6 month window of malabsorption ..but....I wanted to eat....The scales have not moved in a week...I added swimming to my exercise routine this morning, and in the evenings I am walking for 30 minutes....I am following your post....... 

dolce1968
on 6/9/15 8:05 am

Hi Carla

Yes I was told the same, Revision is a slower process when it comes to weight loss but I'm simply concerned because I'm not feeling sick or anything...LOL, perhaps I should be happy instead.

I have gone from a size 18/20 to a size 14/16 in less than 3 months but the scale just doesn't feel like it's moving fast enough. 

I guess I'm scared that I'm doing something wrong and will end up gaining all the weight back and I just don't want to go in that direction.  I haven't had anything stuck yet and haven't had that awful chest pain and am sorry you are experiencing it, I know what it feels like because I suffered for almost 10 years with it prior to the Revision to RNY.

I need to UP the exercise and will probably take hubby up on "golfing" he's been nagging for a while so heck, why not give it a shot, if I get tired walking the course I can always run and get a cart....lol

I'm in Ontario Canada just as an FYI

ORIGINAL STOMACH STAPLING (VBG) 1994; FIRST REFERRAL REVISION - 2012 (LOST) SECOND REFERRAL REVISION (MAY 2014) ORIENTATION HRRH - July 2014; MEET R/N; NUTRI; SW - AUGUST 2014; 2nd APPT SW END OF AUGUST 2014; DR GLAZIER AUGUST 24 - DR HAGEN (Surgeon) SEPTEMBER 2014; DR HAGEN - MARCH 9th 2015 ; OPTI START MARCH 10 2015; REVISION SURGERY MARCH 24th 2015 HRRH (DR HAGEN)

Hislady
on 6/8/15 5:50 pm - Vancouver, WA

Ok take this with a grain of salt because I don't have RNY but I do read the forums often and my guess would be the fruit is a big problem because even tho it is healthy it is pretty much straight sugar. Also 900 cal seems a tad high for weight loss stage. Many eat 600-800 calories during the losing phase, lots of water is good, glad to see that because often people just can't get much in. I'd suggest cutting the fruit drastically if not all together and try to drop the calories by 100 or maybe a bit more and give it a couple of weeks and see if that doesn't help, stay away from all the carby stuff except veggies. Sounds like you are both doing good at that! Good luck hope this helps some!

dolce1968
on 6/9/15 8:00 am

Thank you for your reply.  I am staying between the 600-800 calories I didn't mention calories.

I will cut back on the fruit, thanks for the advice on that one and will also cut down the carbs, not sure if you have ever heard of it but I try to stick to Dimpflmeier Light Rye bread and only in the morning with a boiled egg.   It is made with spring water and skim milk powder, maybe I need to cut that out?

The nutrition facts are:

Nutrition Facts Valeur nutritive Per 1 slice (51 g) pour 1 tranche (51 g)
Amount% Daily Value Teneur% valeur quotidienne Calories / Calories 130 Fat / Lipides 0.5g1% Saturated / saturés 0g0% + Trans / trans 0g Cholesterol / Cholestérol 0mg0% Sodium / Sodium 300mg13% Carbohydrate / Glucides 26g9% Fiber / Fibres 1g4% Sugars / Sucres 0g Protein / Protéines 5g
Vitamin A / Vitamine A0% Vitamin C / Vitamine C0% Calcium / Calcium2% Iron / Fer10%

Hislady
on 6/9/15 3:32 pm - Vancouver, WA

Myself I keep my carbs under 20 daily so I wouldn't be able to eat the bread (I do love bread tho!  ) just can't eat it if I want to keep the weight down tho. Some of us are way more sensitive to carbs than others. If you really enjoy it and want to try keeping it in your diet you could see how it fits when you cut back on some of the fruit. We can't cut out everything, for some moderation works, for others like myself just really have to buckle down. Give the changes a try and see how it goes!!

poplargreys
on 6/14/15 2:58 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I aim for less than 30g of carbohydrates for my entire day, so a single slice of that bread would pretty much guarantee that I'd go over my allotted carbs unless I ate straight meat for the rest of the day. My plan suggests avoiding bread, pasta, grains/rice, fruit and liquid calories for LIFE. There are so many awesome things that we get to eat, I don't even miss the stuff I don't have in my diet any more. If you're eating eggs for breakfast, try adding veggies and ham/sausage/bacon and cheese instead of the bread, that way you are getting variety and more protein and natural fiber without the bulk, carbohydrates and calories of the bread.

Chilipepper
on 6/14/15 6:14 pm

Count everything. Protein first. Cut your calories down to 800 and total carbs to under 30 a day. Fruits and bread are a no no during the losing phase. Keep your protein to 70 grams or above. 

Good luck to you! You can do it!!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Ashley in Belgium
on 6/18/15 10:31 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

First I say be GLAD you aren't having any problems.  It shouldn't hurt and foods should go down as they are supposed to.  I know it's weird, but it is a good thing!  Now, I am a revision Band to RNY and I think that almost 30 lbs in 3 months is a great loss.  How much do you need to lose? 

I don't think I was a slow loser, but it wasn't lightening fast either.  I detail my calories and such in my profile if you are interested, but I think you should eliminate the bread a fruit and anything carb heavy while in the losing phase.  That seems to be what most successful folks on the boards here are doing and once you get the hang of it you don't really miss any of that stuff.  I haven't had any refined carbs (bread of any kind, pasta, cereal etc) in over 2 years and I don't even think of it as food anymore.  I do eat lots of lentils and beans in maintenance and don't count carbs but I do eat up to 100g of protein a day.  The more I eat the more I lose and the easier it is to maintain.  

This surgery works if you work it.  You can do this!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

moviemum
on 6/23/15 6:26 am

so interesting.

I am not scheduled yet but approved from Lap-band to RNY and am just now really doing research on people's experiences. Having had surgery 4 years ago, I know that my weight loss was slow but steady for 4 years.  80 lbs.  Band slip so now onto RNY after 20lb weight gain in 4 months.  It's always about the diet it seems! My new surgeon did say that revisions do not offer the same weight loss nor speed of loss.  Kind of suits me fine because I really only want to lose 30 more (i guess 50 total) and certainly do not want a drastic loss right away.  Be glad you're not in any discomfort!  Good luck, I too will keep checking in on this discussion.

Most Active
Recent Topics