Water is making me nauseous!

Jeppa
on 6/24/15 6:55 pm
Revision on 06/02/15

I am 22 days post op and I've begun to have a problem.  When I get up in the mornings, i take my medicine with water. Then of course, I sip sip sip, all day long.  The last couple of days, I've noticed tha****er is starting to make me nauseous.  From the first drink to the last - every time I drink it, I feel like it is floating around in my body - and I get this sudden urge to either toss it up, or that it's going to come out the "other" end instantly! I get dizzy and I have to sit for a bit for it to go away. Has anyone else experienced this?

No, I am not pregnant (lol - not possible!) and I don't feel that way with other stuff I drink, milk, soy, shakes - jus****er.  Am I losing my mind??

12.25.08 - Starting Weight: 408...7.30.09 - Surgery  Weight: 336

6.2.15 - Revision Surgery (Lap removal/RNY) Wt: 295

Hislady
on 6/24/15 10:52 pm - Vancouver, WA

I have read avout some people that just can't deal with the taste of plain water it makes them sick like you said nauseous. Have you tried some of the water flavorings to see if that helps or try different temps sometimes that helps. You have to get your fluids in but it doesn't have to be just straigh****er try some flavors or some fruit in it like lemon or lime. Vitamins can cause nausea but sounds like yours lasts all day so guessing that isn't it.

Jeppa
on 6/27/15 2:05 pm
Revision on 06/02/15

I'm usually a huge straigh****er drinker, but I just cannot stomach it for whatever reason. I did add some light flavors, thanks for that tip. I tried a crystal light and it was too strong. I decided to put just half of the little pouch and that made a difference.. I bought an infusion water bottle, it should be in this week, can't wait to try cucumber or lemon water!  

Butterfli2005
on 6/25/15 11:28 am

I had RNY in 2003 and still have this issue on and off, along with pain sometimes. A couple of suggestions. First would be try it at room temperature, or even warm tea. If that doesn't help, Call your doc and see what he says. I daughter also dealt with this issue last year with her first RNY and it did eventually ease up and for the most part go away. Make sure you are not drinking with a straw either a straw attached to a cup (like the big liter cups) or a water bottle with a pop up top, or a straw in a normal glass either. This helps prevent air from getting into your small tummy (if you remember the old rules this was one of them that was a big one). My daughter would always take a deep breath when she went to sip water... as soon as she realized what she was doing she switched to making sure she didn't take a breath and that helped her a lot. I haven't had the revision yet.. STILL waiting for Tricare to make up their minds on whether or not my surgeon knows what he is doing. Or at least with me he doesn't know what he is talking about. 

Jeppa
on 6/27/15 2:11 pm
Revision on 06/02/15

That makes sense because my tummy LOVES hot tea or broth - - It's confusing. Does broth count in my daily consumption of water? Between all of the vitamins, the food I have to eat, the protein I'm trying to get in, and the liquids, I feel like all I am doing is shoving something down my throat! I can't wait to be normal - whatever that is LOL.  

Good luck on your revision. I hope it comes through soon. I was denied in February, planned my life accordingly, then in April got a "guess what, you qualify" letter along with a 2-day window of opportunity to have it done - WHAT?  It too****il the last week of May for them get it cleared up - but this time I had a 5 day window of opportunity.  Luckily the ladies at the dr. office were prepared - I got the "all clear" late in May and had the procedure June 2.  Insurance companies are RIDICULOUS! 

poplargreys
on 6/27/15 10:26 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I am three months out from my surgery and I still have a hard time drinking straigh****er in the mornings, so I use mio/dasani drops to flavor it. I don't know WHY it helps, but it does. I only seem to have the problem in the mornings, by the afternoon plain water doesn't turn my stomach any more. Go figure.

CAPoppy
on 6/27/15 11:50 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

I can't do water either. I can sometimes do mio or dasani drops. What I can stomach is propel zero or powerade zero. 

One plus is that it's pre measured! 

Lizzie_Bennet
on 6/28/15 3:22 pm

After my VSG in 2009, I thought I was going crazy when water made me nauseated. Then I mentioned it to my surgeon. He told me that it was my stomach acid. The acid creates a barrier across the top of my stomach, and water itself cannot enter right away through the barrier, but if I added something to the water, it acted as a surfactant to help the water break through the acid. Who knew? I was just grateful I wasn't NUTS.

Jeppa
on 6/29/15 7:19 am
Revision on 06/02/15

That is the oddest thing I have ever heard - but wow... it sure does explain a lot! Like a lot of others have been suggesting, I've been putting something in the water and it really does help. I got my water infuser over the weekend and I am STOKED to have something different, and not sweet. I'm over the dairy taste (yogurt or cottage cheese) and over the sweet taste! ... actually :( I really just want to suck on a few doritos - is that bad? LOL

Thanks everyone for your input!  It feels SOOOO good that I am not nuts!

kaniky
on 6/29/15 7:04 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I find if I drink room temperature water rather than cold or ice water I do so much better!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

Most Active
Recent Topics