What is it like 2 weeks out from DS surgery?

Beckmo
on 6/30/15 9:10 am - Mesa, AZ

I had RNY in Dec. 2007.  I lost 175 lbs with the bypass but then slowly gained weight over the years. Tried the dieting again.  Ran into physical problems after running a 10 K. Physical activity is difficult now with lower back problems, fibromyalgia bad and both shoulders with surgery.  I gained 65 lbs back.  So discouraging, felt like I failed. Finally, went and had an UGI done and it showed NO retention in my pouch.  The stoma was completely open for food and drink to go right through.  My surgeon wanted to try a Band over Bypass but it is not covered by insurance and I got really negative comments about it.  Friday, I got approved for the Duodenal Switch (the surgery I wanted in the first place).   My surgery date is July 28th.  SO EXCITED and NERVOUS all at the same time.  I am kind of worried as I need to go back to work on August 12th.  How long is healing?  How are you feeling then? What are you eating? What is your activity level?  I go to my class on July 16th and may get my answers then, but curious now.  Thanks

Beckmo

Ladytazz
on 6/30/15 11:59 pm

First off, who is your surgeon?  Be sure they are an experienced revision surgeon.  The revision from a RNY to a DS is very complicated and should be done by someone with a lot of experience.

That said, are you sure they are doing a true DS?  Many surgeons will tell you that but what they are really doing is a distal RNY, or ERNY.  Basically either not touching your pouch at all or revising the pouch and altering the intestines for more malabsorption without really doing the DS procedure.

Be sure they will be doing a true DS, including revising the pouch to a sleeve.  If they say things like "It's just like a DS". run.

Second, most revisions are done open.  My revision was very tough on me and there was no way I could have returned to work in two weeks but everyone is different.

I just had surgery a few weeks ago, not related to my WLS, and it was an open surgery as well and I am supposed to return to work this weekend, just 3 weeks after surgery and I am dreading it.  My job is not physical at all but my stamina is nil and I know it will be taxing on me physically as well as mentally, but I have no choice so I will do the best I can do.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Beckmo
on 7/1/15 9:00 am - Mesa, AZ

Thank you for the clarifying questions.  My surgeon is very experienced in the revision from RNY to DS.  When I told him I wanted it done when the Band over Bypass was denied HE asked ME if I knew what it all entailed.  Then, he went into describing all that he had to do and that there would be a possibility that he would not be able to do it all in one surgery dependent on my healing of reattachement from previous surgery and first part of switch.  I am definitely approved for the Duodenal Switch, no other wording other than the possible addition of the Bilopancreal (?) Limb.  He did not inform me it would be open... all my surgeries have been laproscopic, but that is a good question to call and ask.  I did hear from someone on the forum that had the same surgeon, same procedure and I don't believe her's was open.  Again, thank you for the questions as I will ask about that one.  My job is not that much physically tasking (it can be, but I know people will help out).   If I need to take another week I am sure they will just have to get by and I know they will understand.  I just know they need me at that time.

Beckmo

Ladytazz
on 7/1/15 10:09 am

Just remember even if it is done laproscopic there is a lot of work involved and you will still have a lot of healing to do.

Talk to your surgeon about what your job duties are and what your restrictions may be.  My surgeon gave me a release to go back to work that detailed what I could and could not do.

I could have gone back to work last week but I am glad I didn't have to.  I still have some pain and of course I can't take pain meds if I will be driving.  My plan is just to do the best I can and go home and rest and get up and do it all over again.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MsBatt
on 7/11/15 4:55 pm

I know I'm late to the party on this, but I have some concerns. First off, ALL Duodenal Switch surgeries include a Bilio-pancreatic limb, an alimentary limb, and a common channel. You need to clarify with your surgeon exactly what he plans to do. Get him to draw you a picture, and compare it with diagrams of the DS you can find on line. Also ask him how many RNY-to-DS revisions he's done, and if he always uses the same configuration.

spelcstr
on 7/1/15 8:26 pm
DS on 03/05/15

I flew to California for my open revision to DS. I had a feeding tube to ensure hydration in case of nausea. I did well and flew home on Day 10 after the surgery but I had no energy. I was ok to walk, we went to the beach and drove around but I was exhausted over very little and needed to rest often. I was not on pain meds due to increased nausea and I was getting 50-60 grams of protein daily at that time. I have a semi-physical job and returned after 4 weeks but was drained at the end of every shift. Best wishes to you, I guess it could be done, but I would just prepare yourself that it possibly may not.

chachie
on 7/5/15 10:51 am

Hi

i had a revision from a lap band to the DS Switch.  I also had a hernia repaired in a total 6 hour surgery. I had surgery on July 16, stayed one night in the hospital (my surgeon is nuts, most people stay 2-3 nights).  My surgeon recommends a clear liquid diet with the exception of protein drinks.  I've also had two iron infusions ( not anemic, but they say it's best practice).  So today is day 18 and I remain very tired.  Here is a usual day.  Get up. Take Prilosec, wait 30 minutes. Drink protein drink and take some of the vitamins.  Do 1/2 mile on treadmill.  Do load of laundry. I'm usually ready for a nap.  After nap take iron pill, wait one hour and have another protein drink.  Take a shower, get dressed.  Rest/ read/ nap.  Make simple dinner for husband.   Do a few light housekeeping things around the house and then to bed.  I'm 55 years old and a RN, boy oh boy I'm surprised I haven't bounced back yet.  I read a few blogs on revision and many people say 4-6 weeks recovery....now I believe it.

Heylove
on 7/11/15 3:43 pm

More than likely, your surgery will be open. 

I returned to school ten days after my open DS revision from lap RNY, and it was VERY difficult.  At thirteen days postop, I was working 13 hour clinical days as a student RN.  

Of course I lived, but you need to be very prepared to make sure you maintain your hydration, and figure out how you will drive yourself and work without relying on narcotic pain killers.  

Activity level was very minimal at that point for me, except for walks around the neighborhood.  Everything still hurt.  My first day pain-free was at about eight weeks postop.  Granted, I probably prolonged my healing process by returning to school so early, but I really had no choice, except to delay my surgery for a few years...and THAT wasn't happening! 

So, if you know ahead of time that you will have to deal with the pain (if it's open and not lap) - then go for it.  It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure!

Most Active
Recent Topics