RNY in 2001-What is a good revision for this surgery?

Theresa W.
on 6/30/15 9:39 am - Northern Lower, MI

As with many long-out post oppers, I have gain much of my weight back.  I had my RNY in 2001 and lost approx. 110 lbs pretty quickly...with a year.  Kept it pretty much level for a few years, but gradually gained back about 3/4 of my weight.   I am thinking of getting a revision as I'm sure things are not as they were when I was first out from my RNY.  So my question is...What is the best revision surgery for a RNY? 

spelcstr
on 7/1/15 8:11 pm
DS on 03/05/15

Hi Theresa, I remember you from when I had my RNY in Feb 2014, especially since you are in Michigan too. I had kept off around 150 pounds for 7 years then life got extremely busy and I began to gain back 15-20 lbs per year over the last 4 years. I just had a revision to Duodenal Switch on March 5, 2015 in California with Dr. Keshishian. I did a lot of research on the mechanisms of both surgeries and spoke to 2 very well-informed surgeons at a medical professional level about the weight regain and surgery options. The other one was Dr. Kemmeter in Grand Rapids. They both agreed that the DS has the best long-term weight loss results (for % loss and length of stability) and especially for revision from RNY. This is a major surgery and has a lot of table time and risk involved so it is one that should not be considered lightly. The only complication that I have had since the surgery almost 4 months ago is that the calcium supplements make me constipated. I have lost 50 pounds since March and am hoping that I can make it to a normal BMI this time. If I eat high carb foods, I do get gassy and may have loose stools the next day, but I think I had worse gas with the RNY, honestly. 

I am not on the boards very often but glad that I stopped in to see your post. Best wishes, Dorothy.

Theresa W.
on 2/7/18 11:44 am - Northern Lower, MI

Hi Dorothy,

I happened upon my post from a few years back and see you did answer me, but I never moved forward on doing any revision yet. Now I am wondering how your DS is working out for you? Can you give me an update? Thanks! Theresa Wagner

MrsIzzy
on 7/5/15 4:07 am - Toms River, NJ
Revision on 07/01/15

Hi Theresa,

I too just had revisional surgery to a DS from RNY that I had in 2007. My surgeon felt this is the only option for revision surgery and that's all he'll do. I had to go through the same process to get approved like nutrition visits,  testing and all that. It is a long surgery and maybe a higher risk. I just had my surgery on July 1st so I still have a long way to go.

Theresa W.
on 7/6/15 5:32 am - Northern Lower, MI

Thank you for your reply....I will look into it..:-)

Heylove
on 7/11/15 3:31 pm

I had lap RNY in June 2003.  I lost 125 in nine months, and kept most of it off for ten years, and then gained 100 lbs back in a very short time.  

I had open DS revision from the RNY in March 2015, I am almost four months post op, and have lost 50 lbs.  It feels much slower than RNY, and it's different overall.  I can't exactly explain it.  I'm not as "in love" with DS as most people are, but I don't really have any complaints, either.  I'm happy to be losing the weight!  

Recovering from surgery the second time was much more difficult, probably due to being older, and because it was open vs. lap.  

Good luck to you!

Theresa W.
on 2/7/18 11:46 am - Northern Lower, MI

Hi!

Just wondering how you are feeling now after a few years from having the DS. Do you still like it? Any complications? Thanks for any input you may have! Theresa

Heylove
on 2/7/18 1:48 pm

I absolutely love it! I am at a very comfortable weight. I've had some surgery for the excess skin on my arms and a breast lift (both by my DS surgeon) and honestly couldn't be happier.

As far as digestive issues, I can see a direct correlation between what I eat and discomfort in the bathroom. Fatty foods and bread cause a lot of issues. I know when I eat something that I have to be okay with the consequences. Like what? Fondue! MmmmMM! I love fondue! French fries = no way! I can eat sweet foods and milk, which I wasn't able to do after my RnY. I have small amounts, and sometimes I have a little more.

I may not be the model patient (I drink soda!) but you know what, I'm comfortable with how I feel and how I look...mostly. I'm still hoping to have a tummy tuck in a few years. I am probably low on Vitamin B, and I've started taking my supplements again last week.

Thanks for asking!! Where are you in your journey?

Most Active
Recent Topics