Complication from lapband; dialated esophagus

Steven354
on 7/12/15 9:06 am

I ve have band lapband since dec 2008. Started  at 305. Surgery at 293. Now 173. I've had swollen stricture four times over last three years each requiring unfill  for a month.  Now I have thickened esophagus  wall moderately dialated esophagus , REFLUX. GERD   Can only sleep in sitting position. I probably have hernia as a result.

Now it's decision time.  Conversion to sleeve or just unfill and see what results ? I can't be only one with this problem as I'm told (only now) it was a known complication. Thank you

Hislady
on 7/12/15 11:38 pm - Vancouver, WA

Nope far from the only one many many of us have had the same issues and you MUST get rid of it as soon as possible unless you want even more serious long term damage. It only gets worse the longer it is in. Eventually you can lose all ability to swallow if left in. 

I have a friend who had to have her stomach removed completely and have her esophagus connected directly to her intestines so she can swallow with the help of gravity because her esophagus no longer pushed the food down without her choking and throwing up! So you need to get it out right away or it will only get worse.

I have mild esophagus issues from my band even now and I had mine removed over a year ago! I have to pay very close attention when I swallow or I will choke and get stuck. The band is the gift that keeps on giving (problems) even when gone. There is also the possibility of Barretts esophagus a pre-cancerous condition that can be brought on by the damaged esophagus. So you would be much better off to just get it out and get the sleeve I've known literally hundreds who have revised to the sleeve and been very happy with it! Good luck to you!

Queen JB
on 7/13/15 7:18 am
RNY on 07/20/15

So sorry this happened to you. I am also dealing with a very traumatized esophagus from my band. 

Is the sleeve your only option? I was encouraged to revise to RNY to avoid more GERD issues, because the sleeve tends to create more reflux, which obviously I am trying to avoid.

Good luck! 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Steven354
on 7/13/15 10:48 am

I haven't checked into all options yet. I'm at the research stage althought with the band. The handwriting is on the wall 

Sndsojourn
on 7/13/15 10:44 pm

Though I am new to this site, i had my first WLS in 2012. I have experienced similar issues with my band, placed in 2012. My PCP scared me with similar accounts of other patients difficulties with esophagus issues post band, and I have had my share of them. 

I had my band removed in 2013, and have struggled to keep my weight off since. I am now trying to find out if I am able to have a RNY, as I previously had colon surgery. My PCP ruled out my being an acceptable candidate for the sleeve due to severe reflux such as you describe. 

Best wishes for your successful research.

Most Active
Recent Topics