Sharing Surgery Information w/family and friends

Tammy P
on 8/10/15 8:23 am - Brooklyn, NY

Hello,

Has anyone not shared with their family and friends that they are having surgery and/or revision surgery?  I really want to keep this to myself and wondering has anyone else experiened or not shared. 

Karen R.
on 8/10/15 10:23 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I have not shared my plans with anyone yet, except here on the boards. Not sure that I will. I will probably have to tell my husband as he will be my driver, but he has a big mouth and whatever you tell him, makes the rounds. He doesn't even know how much I weigh. LOL

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Tammy P
on 8/10/15 10:48 am - Brooklyn, NY

LOL @ Karen R.  I'm wit ya girlfriend!!!  When I had my first surgery in 2002, I did NOT tell my now ex husband for the very same reasons.  The only people who know about my revision are those who knew about my first surgery.  My significant other, I want to tell him BUT he will tell his mother and she will tell EVERYONE.  I love her to pieces BUT she can't hold water.  LOL. 

I will have to make up something and have a discussion with the doctor to NOT discuss anything related to my surgery with or around anyone.  This is going to be hard but I just do NOT feel like EVERYONE being in my business.  Is this silly of me?

Karen R.
on 8/10/15 1:11 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

No, not silly at all! That is why HIPAA came to be.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Queen JB
on 8/10/15 1:17 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I just had revision from Band to Bypass a few weeks ago. I told my very supportive immediate family and my Best Friend. No one else. 

I have had a terrible few years with the band-- difficulty swallowing and lots of vomiting, so my "community" knows I was sick. I have told people that the surgery is to fix my swallowing problem (entirely true). I just leave out what the procedure is that will fix it. 

I mean honestly, if someone tells me they are having gallbladder surgery, I don't ask them to go into detail and tell me how the surgeon is doing it! The procedure itself is no one's business! 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Tammy P
on 8/11/15 11:26 am - Brooklyn, NY

Hi JuniperBerry,

Thanks for sharing.  Funny you should mention gallbladder surgery.  That is what I told most people I had for my first surgery. 

Butterfli2005
on 8/10/15 7:36 pm

With my first surgery I told them what I was going to do and the official name for it, but told everyone I had made up my mind and didn't want to talk about it. My father is a VERY judgmental person and although not as bad, so is my mother. For the revision I told my family the revision was just a repair of the original surgery. No real details. If there is a reason to share either surgery with people overall I will, but only if there is a solid reason. 

Tammy P
on 8/11/15 11:28 am - Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for sharing Butterfli2005

Lisa09
on 8/12/15 6:07 pm - NH

I am not sharing with anyone but my husband so far. when I have the revision, I may tell 1 friend at work. not sure. but i KNOW people are so judgmental or have opinions because they heard x, y, and z could happen.  people love to tell me how to eat and i could just drop a few pounds....they don't get it..  i need to focus on ME, not on their negativity or whatever.  down the line, when i reach goal, i may feel differently.  why bring other people's junk into this very personal journey, unless you KNOW they'd be sooooo super supportive.  good luck!

lking
on 8/12/15 6:42 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I have been sharing my plans with friends, family, and even a few strangers (excitement during a conversation we were having).  My reason?  I think it makes me more accountable.  I also think spilling the beans will keep them from trying to "force feed" me food that I shouldn't have.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Most Active
Recent Topics