Apollo Overstich Procedure / Endoscopic Gastric Suturing

Melissa S.
on 8/13/15 9:08 am - Bristol, VA

A little bit of history.  I had RNY Gastric Bypass in June 2010. Over the course of two years I lost 170 pounds and maintained that. I relocated to another state for my job and during the third year I started bouncing up and down within 10 pounds.  During the fourth year I met my now husband and started doing all the dating things with him and we both love to cook so I kind of let my guard down and then boom… weight is back up from my lowest by 30 pounds.

I went to my original surgeon for a little talk.  We decided it was in my best interest to have the Apollo Overstitch Procedure done in order to halt the weight gain and to get back on track.

The Apollo will help you to lose 30 pounds and 50 if you work for it.  I definitely want to lose the 30 pound regain and I would love to lose 20-30 more to reach my final goal.  Even at that goal, I would still be overweight but I would be ok with that.

A thing to note in my case is that my insurance did not cover the original RNY or the Apollo.  I had to pay for them both.  Yes it is a lot of money, but I think my health is worth it.  This will be the same situation when I lose the weight I want, I will have to pay for a tummy tuck or any cosmetic surgery for the sagging skin (and I do have some).

So I did the pre-surgery nutrition class and all the stuff to prepare myself to get ready and on August 5, 2015 I had the procedure.  Everything went well.  The doctor was able to reduce the size of my stoma opening and stomach that had stretched.  It is an outpatient procedure and I went home that day.  I had a sore throat for about four days and my upper abdomen was sore for about a week.  I was weak and tired but otherwise felt fine.

I have been following the Stage II diet plan since having the surgery.  I am eating (drinking) protein shakes, thinned cream of wheat, strained creamed soups, and broths, sugar free Jell-O and pudding and sugar free popsicles.  I am allowing myself one cup of decaf coffee a day.  (I had a really bad coffee habit that needed to be broken.)  I am gradually getting more water in each day.  I will follow this plan at least for two weeks then move to the Stage III diet plan which is more of the same, but adds in pureed or blended foods.

So far, as of today, I have lost 15 pounds.  I see my surgeon next week for my first follow up appointment.  I hope to be at 20 pounds lost by then if possible.

I have read very few stories of real people who have had this surgery done.  There is a lot of technical information to be found.  Some stories have been negative and some just hearsay, so I wanted to post my story for others to see that there are people who have had the surgery that are doing ok.

I do have restriction again.  It is not the same as the original surgery and I did not expect it to be. I also do not feel hungry and I am eating pretty much on a schedule.  I understand that I have to do the work to gain the most from this “second chance” and I plan to succeed.  My husband is working on our den today and getting it set up with my treadmill and total gym as well as a television and my WII Fit and other workout programs.

I would like to hear from others who have had the Apollo Overstitch to see how things went for you. It would be nice to have more information on the boards for people researching to find.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/14/15 2:37 pm

Thank thing works for some, and doesn't for others. Glad you are doing so well. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Melissa S.
on 8/18/15 4:15 pm - Bristol, VA

So today I went to see my surgeon for my two week follow up appointment.  He was very impressed.  I am down 20 pounds in two weeks and doing well.  I start the stage 3 diet now for two weeks (blended/pureed).  Ten more to go to get back to my lowest weight since RNY.  My goal is to be under 200 by my birthday in November.

sarah_durso
on 8/21/15 10:25 pm

I had the Appolo Overstitch done in late May of this year.  I'm not sure how much it actually helped, or if it was the 8 week liquid diet after the procedure. I lost roughly 20 lbs my first month after having it done. Nothing after that. I went back in a few weeks and and it had stretched back open some. Not all the way, but enough that my doc wants to go in and re tighten it. 

Melissa S.
on 8/22/15 5:02 am - Bristol, VA

Sarah - I hope all goes well for you.  I am sorry that you have to go through the procedure again.  Thanks for sharing.

sarah_durso
on 8/22/15 11:00 pm

The good thing is, it's a super easy procedure to recover from. Virtually no pain.   You just may have to get it done a few times because it will stretch out a bit.  Much easier than revision and no side effects.

JUDGE166
on 10/13/15 12:46 pm

Hello thanks for your story, I had my gastric bypass back in 2001 went from 240 to 165lbs since i have gained back 45lbs. i am having the Apollo done 10/23. I am a little scared it wont work because of all the negative comments about it. But thanks to your story i feel a little better. i will update soon.

Melissa S.
on 10/24/15 6:41 am - Bristol, VA

Hope all went well for your surgery. Good luck!

Gavin B.
on 4/4/17 6:51 am - Orlando, FL

how did your revision go?

Hondurian Queen
on 10/24/15 5:43 am, edited 10/23/15 10:43 pm - BOSTON, MA

So happy to read about your journey. I am having the apollo done November 4 and I am excited can't wait to get back on track. Continue success on your journey

Most Active
Recent Topics