Revised from Sleeve to RNY? I want to hear from you! !!

Marquismark
on 8/13/15 5:39 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Forgive me if answers have been posted elsewhere, but I've been searching for eight hours and my eyes are bleary.

Kaiser is offering me a revision from my sleeve to an RNY.  Since having the sleeve in Dec 2009, I only lost 55 pounds and have regained 30.  My current BMI is 37 with high blood pressure and a bit of GERD. 

Has anybody here had this revision?  Would you please share your experience with me?!  How's it going? Any regrets?  If you had to do it all over again, would you?

BTW, I understand many people advocate getting revised to a DS over the RNY.  I understand those reasons and don't disagree, but, with Kaiser, it may not be an option. The RNY may not the perfect solution, but I suspect it will be much better than what I have.

Thank you, Mark

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

Karen R.
on 8/14/15 5:16 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I'm still pre-op, revision soon, lots of people do this type of revision.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Marquismark
on 8/14/15 7:22 am
DS on 12/10/15

Thank you, Karen. Best wishes to you. I imagine there are lots of revisions from band to RNY. In my case, I'll be going from SLEEVE to RNY and I don't see a lot of people here who have done that. 

Anyone have any experience with that?

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

Bchica15
on 8/14/15 4:14 pm
with

I am in the revision process from sleeve to RNY. My sleeve is twisted, I have a hiatal hernia and I have developed terrible gerd. It is becoming more common for sleeve to RNY revisions. I wish you the best.

Marquismark
on 8/14/15 7:32 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Thank you for sharing.  Best to you, too. 

Hislady
on 8/14/15 8:45 pm - Vancouver, WA

Personally if I couldn't get the DS I just would keep the sleeve. With the RNY you only have malabsorbtion of calories for 12-24 mos and then the body starts absorbing the calories again but it will always still malabsorb the vitamins and minerals. In the end tho you are left with just the small pouch for weight loss which is basically what you have with the sleeve you have now, except that you will have to keep taking vitamins and minerals because they are still being malabsorbed. So I don't see any point in having another surgery just to end up back where you are now. Even with the DS you still absorb (and always will) simple carbs. It just seems odd to me to go thru all the pain and difficulty of a surgery that simply leaves you back at square one.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/15/15 8:00 am

Plus post op  RNY a person, due to lack of pyloric valve, my get insulin "storm " even if consuming any foods , even proteins.. Too much insulin = insulin resistance= weight gain.... Even on relatively low carb diet. 

But if that is what he wants and he thinks it will help him get to goal and keep the weight off, then it may work for him... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CindyLu71
on 8/15/15 10:33 am - TX

Hi! I had sleeve done in 2011, lost 50 pounds and had the RNY Dec. 18,2014 , So I am 8 months out , have lost from 216 to171.Feeling great, no regrets, would do it again. The first weeks had me wondering if I had done the right thing. Seemed like water was getting stuck. lol But now I can eat about anything. Just not as much. But I am also at a stall for the last month. It is driving me crazy since I had the sleeve do the same thing. I have been assured it will move again.,but I really want to get this last 20 off!! lol over all very happy!

CindyLu 

Marquismark
on 8/15/15 9:35 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Thank you for sharing that.  Glad to hear it's going well.  I can sense you're pleased!  Best to you, Mark

CindyLu71
on 8/16/15 5:37 am - TX

I also had severe GERD with my sleeve,so I was more than happy to get that taken care of. I started at 266, lost down to 216 and then nothing for a couple of years.I am off of almost all of my meds, . I hope you do well with whatever decision you make! 

CindyLu 

Most Active
Recent Topics