BMI high enough for a revision?

rnangieo
on 8/16/15 3:12 pm

Hello all, have been doing a bunch of research about revision lately, and still have questions. I had VSG with Dr. Kelley in Mexico 4 years ago, lost about 50 pounds. Over the past 2 years, I have slowly regained about 30 pounds and have been seriously considering revision. I have also developed a lot of reflux and some occasional (once a week) vomiting. The thing is, my BMI is still only about 31.5.  My highest weight was about 220, and I am hovering around 175 now, but feel miserable. Am I crazy for thinking about revision? I try to stick with low carb, but lose very little weight. Would they even consider DS on someone that is a lightweight? Also, I have a lot of neck pain and take ibuprofen 2-3 times a week. Would I be allowed to do that with a revision? Not a fan of tylenol :(

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/15 7:02 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

A revision to a DS won't help your reflux. I originally wanted VSG, and my surgeon advised for RNY because of my pre-existing GERD. He said he'd do the sleeve if I really wanted it, but that there'd be a good chance of having to revise to RNY later anyway. If the revision is for the reflux instead of for obesity though, BMI may not matter.

Most Active
Recent Topics