Revison help

uscma15
on 8/22/15 7:51 pm - LA

Hello all,

I had RNY in 2002 and went from 375 to 275.  Im 5'7 and I had both hips replaced in 2009 due to an accident and still have 100 to lose. I had an unsuccessful revision in 2008 to correct stoma opening and lost 40 and regained. Looking into revison again.  Any advise as to what might be best? I was considering band over bypass, no response in that forum yet. 

heathercross
on 8/23/15 12:40 pm - New York, NY

I've had a BOB - Band over Bypass. I had it done in 2011 (had original Open RNY in 2002).  From what I understand, it works well for thise who've had a stretched pouch and stoma is still intact.  If yours' isn't not sure if/how it will work for you.  Are you sure you can get a 2nd revision?  Insurance has gonna mighty touch as of late.  

uscma15
on 8/23/15 1:56 pm - LA

Hi and thank you for the reply..  I have Tricare prime and initially they would not approve several years ago,when I tried but I decided to give it another shot since several years have gone by and they recently approved my visit ro another surgeon for revision.  I just dont want to use my "last" chance on something that might not work.  I see that some such as tourself have done well and others that do not.  My first revision was a nightmare.  They said they corrected the stoma and I could not tell a difference.  I think I initally lost the 40 due to the liquid diet, lol. Keeping my fingers crossed. My appt is on 02 Sept.

Laura in Texas
on 8/23/15 5:57 pm

RNY to DS is probably your best bet but not many surgeons know how to do that correctly. Hopefully one of the DS vets will chime in.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

uscma15
on 8/23/15 6:23 pm - LA

Thank you, I figured that but I dont think that Tricare will pay for it.  I know there are docs here in Louisiana that do the DS but I dont think as part of a revision.  I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place and have one shot left..  Thank you again :)

Lisaann68
on 8/26/15 8:36 am

Hi, I have Tricare Prime, and was able to get my revision from old school VBD (2006) to the DS (2009). I went to Madigan Army Base, where Dr. Martin is amazing. I am not sure where you live, or if Dr. Martin is still there, but you can call Bariatric at Madigan and ask. It may be worth travelling if a DS is what you are seeking. I am 6 years out, and bounce back below or over my goal by 10 pounds, which is not bad at all! :) Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any help!!

Lisa

Lisaann68
on 8/26/15 8:37 am

OOPS, meant to say old school VBG

uscma15
on 8/26/15 4:59 pm - LA

Thanks for the info! Yes, I have heard of this bariatric program, but was not sure how to get into it as I am seen off post by a civilian Dr. instead on going on post.  So, not sure if my Dr. refers to them or if I have to go on post and then ask there.  Not sure.  I will calll Madigan and check.. I have heard nothing but good tho :)

Butterfli2005
on 8/25/15 2:41 pm

Hi I am also Tricare Prime.. and they have a blanket no consideration for coverage for a DS regardless of whether it is a revision or an original surgery. I had RNY in 2002 as well. Went from 317 to 138 in two years. Then started regaining. After regaining 100 lbs back I started looking into a revision. The surgeon I saw (who is different from my original surgery surgeon) told me the RNY distal was very similar to a DS without as many of the risks. After MONTHS of fighting I finally got approved for it and I am now 5 weeks post op. I have gone from 240 to 216 on my scale so far. It seems slower than my first surgery, but when I look at the facts, it isn't shabby at all. I so far have not found anything that makes me run to the bathroom, and have not experienced the bad gas issues. BUT I am on a soft diet still. Because my surgeon had to resize and repair my pouch I am on a pretty normal first time RNY diet. I do occasionally make exceptions to my soft diet, but not significant ones and I pay attention. I have to say for me, the biggest issue is I feel so normal... I don't feel like I had surgery, recovery has been fantastic aside from a sharp pain on my left hand side which finally is starting to ease off some. But food wise I can eat pretty much normal. I do stay away from fats and sweets.. I have noticed if I eat them, I have a very gurgly tummy. But that is it. I personally would recommend looking into the distal RNY. It is possible to get that approved, at least for the first revision.. not sure about a second.. but it is worth the fight if you are willing to deal with a lot of stress and frustration with Tricare to get it approved!!

uscma15
on 8/26/15 4:56 pm - LA

Thank you so much for the info! I have an appt next week in Shreveport and Imwill ask about this procedure.  I am not really sure what it entails but I will look it up online.  Congrats on your weightloss :)

Most Active
Recent Topics