Unsuccessful revision?

lauries03
on 8/25/15 5:05 am
VSG on 03/03/15

I am wondering if there are any other people who have had a revision surgery that produced minimal results? I am in that situation, 5 months post revision Lap Band to VSG. Looking for like minded individuals to discuss the emotional roller coaster that our life has become.

Butterfli2005
on 8/25/15 2:29 pm

Wow, that must feel horrible! I cannot relate to your surgery specifically because I was RNY to Distal RNY but I tell you it would be devastating for me to fight so hard for a revision and have it fail. Have you spoken to your surgeon about this? What does he say. How about  NUT? Do they have any ideas? 

lauries03
on 8/25/15 7:09 pm
VSG on 03/03/15

NUT says eat less (under 1000 calories per day)! I explained I'm hungry all the time, she still says eat less. Surgeon said well you're just one of those people. He said I guess you'll just have to exercise more. It was a very different story than before surgery when he told me I was going to be a superstar! I was very successful with the lap band initially, he said he expected great results for me. Very frustrating to say the least.

ladygodiva1228
on 8/26/15 5:22 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On August 25, 2015 at 7:09 PM Pacific Time, lauries03 wrote:

NUT says eat less (under 1000 calories per day)! I explained I'm hungry all the time, she still says eat less. Surgeon said well you're just one of those people. He said I guess you'll just have to exercise more. It was a very different story than before surgery when he told me I was going to be a superstar! I was very successful with the lap band initially, he said he expected great results for me. Very frustrating to say the least.

Are you eating dense protein first?  At 5 months out 1000 calories a day seem high. 

Are you taking a PPI for acid?  It could be head hunger and acid that is making you feel hungry all the time. 

lauries03
on 8/28/15 6:52 pm
VSG on 03/03/15

I took a PPI for first three months, was hungry all the time then too. Dr said to discontinue since no issues. I eat a diet very high in protein and low in carbs.

Hislady
on 8/26/15 7:56 pm - Vancouver, WA

I haven't personally been thru it but know many, many who have since i am on several FB forums also. First issue is revisions of any surgery tend to lose slower, we don't really know why but it seems to be a universal thing with revisions. So even tho you lost well with the band you still can with the sleeve it will just be a little slower. So prepare your self mentally that it won't be like with the band but you most definitely can get there. I know many who have lost a great deal after revision to the sleeve.

Your nut is right you will have to eat less most who are in the losing phase eat between 600-900 calories a day. Once you are in maintenance you can up it to 1000-1200 cal. a day. You mentioned you are still hungry, that most often is acid.

You may need to try a different PPI or change to a prescription strength. I've know several people who have had to try just about every brand on the market to find one that works. I even knew of one gal that had to swap them out periodically because she seemed to build up a tolerance to them over time and would have to switch out to a different one. It can be a real pain in the rear to find the right one. So keep trying different brands for several weeks at a time because it sometimes takes a few weeks for them to really get to working.

Also really think about when you are hungry and decide whether it is actual hunger or if you are head hungry and just need to find something to do. I bought myself one of the new adult color books (they aren't dirty just have more adult type pics) and great big set of crayons and pens to play with. It is great because I can get lost coloring for hours it so much fun. I'm like a little kid!!

Hopefully this will help you find your way thru this maze of revision. Remember too that as you lose weight you will hit spots where you get very emotional from the hormones that your body dumps during rapid weight loss. What an oxymoron eh, you lose slower but get hormone dumps from rapid weight loss. That alone will drive ya crazy!! Best of luck to you and I'm glad to help more if you want to PM me!

lauries03
on 8/28/15 6:54 pm
VSG on 03/03/15

Thanks for your input. 

HKT53
on 8/25/15 6:47 pm - Toronto, Canada

I really hope you find someone to talk over your roller coaster. I am so sorry. I did search "revisions gone bad" and didn't see anything recent on this subject. I had something like a VSG way back in 1989. Lots of problems and some weight gain from 2006 to 2014 when all of a sudden my stomach closed up to only allow liquids. For a year and half tried to find a Dr that didn't say it was all in my mind. What a depressing time I had. Near exhaustion and had to drink six ensures a day. Too many calories and weight gain even though I was Vomitting an average of six ties a day. I didn't know about RNY until last year. I didn't know about this forum. I thought I was going crazy just trying to stay alive. Finally I had my RNY revision on July 10. So far everything is great. But I never stopped wondering if there are people that revision surgery did not work. I have been on many many diets from 1990 to 2014 to try and keep my weight down. If you think I could be of some help, I would certainly continue to help you talk this out. There has to be a reason you are suffering like this. Please friend me and put our heads together. We can beat this...there has to be a way.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

mcaines
on 8/26/15 7:11 am - Pikeville, KY

I honestly don'nt know where to start. But here goes. Revision (3) Ago. (1) Year out lost around 200 pounds. Stayed dehydrated and malnourished. Kidneys failed. Problem after problem. Out of the blue surgeon calls me in. We have to redo this. Took to much bowel. After much argument. I agreed. Got so sick. developed an abstruction. (7) day hospital stay. Worst ever. Got depressed gained (90) pounds. Asked for help. Surgeon says well all I can do. Had a nervous breakdown. Finally recovering. So having some stomach issues. Surgeon says I will do another revision. Emotional roller coaster.

HKT53
on 8/26/15 10:38 am - Toronto, Canada

So how about your kidney's now. What kind of damage and is it permanent? So have you just not talked to surgeon again about his suggestion for another revision? I would think at this point I would not want to talk to him again. But I wouldn't burn your bridges, just leave it on the back burner until you learn more. You think you are recovering from nervous breakdown? I gotta ask, are you getting better psychologically because your body is healing too. Is the next revision only to help you to lose weight? Are you trying to work at a job during all this, or are you able to stay at home? What kind of foods can you eat? Sorry asking all this but I am attempting to break things down to finding your most important purpose. Leaving the weight loss to the side, can you sleep, do you vomit, can you eat protein (meats). Or instead of answering all these questions, where would you like to focus? Psychological or day to day survival? You know what I would like to do...stretch my arms out and give you a big hug.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics