From Lap Band to Gastric Bypass/Sleeve

Clara1230
on 8/27/15 2:19 pm

I had lap band surgery January 2009 and lost 45 lbs.  I have been having problems with the band.  I can never get it to the right spot.  I'm having problems with my esophagus.  Had barium swallow test done today.  I don't have any fluid in my band.  Doctor told me that he probably would not be able to fill it again.  I discussed with my doctor about going to the gastric bypass or sleeve. He said that he could remove the band and do the surgery the same day. Has anyone had this procedure done? How long were you off work?  He told me that I would be off 2 weeks.  I really would like to have the surgery and get the rest of this weight off.  I'm a little nervous about the bypass that is why I did not have it back in 2009.  Depending on what the test results are the sleeve would not be a good choice.  Would love to hear from others that have gone through revision surgery.  Thank you. 

Karen R.
on 8/27/15 4:09 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I  haven't had my surgery yet, but I can appreciate all your concerns.  I have a gastric band (from 2010) that is giving me lots of issues. I am planning to have it removed and revised to RNY on 9/10/15.  Surgery has come along way and I trust my surgeon.  Read the posts in the RNY forum and you will get a lot of support. Good Luck!

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Clara1230
on 8/27/15 4:20 pm

Thank you for your response. Please let me know how your surgery goes. Praying things go well!

jalivia2
on 9/23/15 10:38 am - Spring, TX

Hi Karen - I will be having this surgery on 10/26.  How did it go for you?

Hislady
on 8/27/15 9:54 pm - Vancouver, WA

If you already have esophagus issues a sleeve is not advised as it also causes high pressure in the esophagus and will just make whatever is causing problems now worse. The only surgeries advised for your situation is the RNY or maybe the DS. The DS does have a sleeved stomach but they make it bigger than the normal sleeve since there is malabsorbtion too. Really the safest surgery would be the RNY/ Good luck!

Catherine-Mo
on 8/28/15 9:10 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I had lap band surgery in 2007, lost 100 pounds and gained most of it back.  My band slipped so I had it removed in August of 2014.  My surgeon does the removal and RNY separately.  I had RNY May 2015.  I took one week off but I have an office job.  I was tired but able to manage it.   I haven't had any complications.  No nausea and no throwing up unlike with the band.   My losing has been a little slower than I would like but that is OK.  I have lost close to 50 pounds since then.  I have no regrets!!!   

Janice1029
on 8/28/15 7:56 pm

I am having the same issues. I am thinking about a revision , but they want to remove the band and I have to wait 6 months to do the gastric bypass. I also would like to hear from someone who has hade the revision surgery.

amaral1407
on 8/28/15 9:20 pm - WA

Hello

I am having revision surgery this Monday from the band to the sleeve in one surgery.  I too was having issues with my esophagus however after having an scope, he still said I can have the sleeve.  I am also advise to take two weeks off of work.  I will let you know how it goes.

Clara1230
on 8/31/15 8:02 pm

I would like to know how thing go.  I had a barium swallow test done last Thursday - have not gotten results yet. I just want to get this weight off. Thank you.

amaral1407
on 9/5/15 9:45 pm - WA

Surgery was successful.  It took alittle long than normal I had alot of scar tissue on around my band.  So far things have gone extremely well, I was in hospital for 3 nights which was helped in the recovery.  Ended up with 7 different holes in my stomach they did not use any previous ones.  I have one that is extremely painful, put that was were they removed port and removed a portion of your stomach.  If you are serious about getting the revision done, don't youtube the surgery, almost made me back out.  Good Luck and keep in touch!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics