Has anyone gone from a RNY to DS

tishsingle28
on 9/2/15 10:54 am, edited 9/2/15 11:05 am - Gastonia, NC

I wanted to know if this was possible and if so who has done and it.  I originally wanted the DS but my insurance would not cover it. But now, I have options.   I went from 364 to 175 and now after 8 years and 2 kids later I am at 255. I've revised my eating habits but I know a revision will get me to where I want to be. 

4jsmom
on 9/2/15 11:24 pm

I am currently  in the process of getting this done. I had RNY in 08 and I am having the DS soon . Dr Sudan at Duke Raleigh is my Dr. From Durham.

ShebasMom
on 9/3/15 12:43 pm, edited 9/3/15 12:44 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Is Dr Sudan doing a RNY to DS revision on you?  He told me he would do a distal RNY on me, knowing I wanted the DS.  I am not high risk, I do have GERD. My GI doctor feels the pressure in my big abdomen is making my GERD worse. I've interacted with people on this forum and other DS sites that had GERD, but got a bigger pouch and had no issues. The distal just doesn't have enough evidence that I can lose most of my excess weight and keep the weight off as the DS does. I will see him again in Oct. By the way, congrats on your surgery.  What day is it?

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/15 11:08 am

I my ex-husband the distal RNY acted very much like a DS - fat malabsorption ten plus years post op, significant restriction in the volume he could eat ... 

hipswishingvinegarball
on 1/29/16 4:22 pm

Distal RNY is NOT like the DS in the most important ways, which means you are still stuck with a pouch and stoma with any RNY instead of a normally functioning but smaller stomach utilizing your own pyloric valve (call a sleeve, with VSG and DS).

Distal RNY is the worst of the surgeries combined!

There are only a handful of surgeons in the world than are actually capable of doing the complicated RNY to DS revision, and the ones offering the inferior distal or E RNY do so because they CAN'T do that revision. Find a surgeon who can, like Keshiahian.

Amajeon
on 9/13/15 1:10 pm - Huntsville, AL

Keep us posted. 

tishsingle28
on 9/15/15 10:58 am - Gastonia, NC

I sure will!

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9, NIV).        
MsBatt
on 9/11/15 8:20 pm

If you haven't already, post this on the DS board. There are lots of RNY-to-DS folks there, or there used to be. There are also a lot of them on the various DS-specific Facebook groups.

tishsingle28
on 9/15/15 10:57 am - Gastonia, NC

Thank you!

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9, NIV).        
ShebasMom
on 9/28/15 12:41 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Ms Batts, most of them have gone to FB

Most Active
Recent Topics