sleeve to RNY

denise277
on 9/8/15 1:28 pm - carteret, NJ

I am getting RNY on Dec 4 after already having a sleeve has anyone done this and lost a lot of weight what should I expect from this I just don't want to lose to much I really want to lose  what I have gained from after my sleeve which is 40 LBS

Marquismark
on 9/8/15 8:37 pm
DS on 12/10/15

I wouldn't worry about losing too much.  I was considering the same revision myself so I did a lot of research.  What I found was that you may not lose that much weight.  In fact, some people are dissapointed. Revisions seem to lose less and more slowly.

I don't want to influence your decision, but, personally, I decided against a revision to RNY and am instead considering a revision to DS.

Punch in tags like "revision rny ds statistics ewl percentage" and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Best to you.

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

denise277
on 9/9/15 11:33 am - carteret, NJ

what is that DS

Marquismark
on 9/9/15 1:37 pm
DS on 12/10/15

DS = Duodenal switch.  It's another type of weight loss surgery.  Your question tells me you're just getting started on your research.  That's fine.  We all have to star somewhere, but I STRONGLY recommend you do a lot of research before making a decision.  The RNY is essentially irreversible.  The DS is more reversible, but it is a more complex surgery and has higher maintenance requirements which, if not followed, can lead to severe malnutrition, possibly even death.  

There's plenty of info on these boards.  Please spend plenty of time reading.  WLS can be a great thing, but there are consequences which should be explored before proceeding.

Best if luck!

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

MsBatt
on 9/11/15 8:17 pm

Actually, the RNY is MORE 'reversible' than the DS, since all of the stomach is still inside the body with the RNY. In the DS, a significant portion is completely removed, and it's gone forever. It's not uncommon for a failed RNY to be revised to a DS, and this involves pretty much reversing the RNY and starting over.

Marquismark
on 9/11/15 8:54 pm
DS on 12/10/15

From the research I've read if you're coming from a sleeve, the stomach portion of the RNY is almost impossible to take down (i.e. you can't get your sleeve back again).  

As far as the intestinal portion, yes, both the DS and RNY can be reversed, but, if you took down the DS intestines, you'd still have a sleeve. If you took down the RNY intestines what would you have?

I'm open to corrections, but that's what I've read.

MsBatt
on 9/11/15 8:15 pm

You already have half of the DS (duodenal switch). The DS has a Sleeved stomach, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. With the RNY, you'll malabsorb certain vitamins and minerals for life, but only malabsorb CACLORIES for about 18-24 months. With the DS, you'll also malabsorb vitamins and minerals, but you'll malabsorb a significant per centage of the CALORIES you eat FOREVER.

The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.

HKT53
on 9/12/15 10:38 pm - Toronto, Canada

Interesting MsBatt and did you get all that Marquismark?

Too late for me. I took the RNY revision route. But MsBatt seems to know some very viable info on the DS side of things. 

"DS has the very best long term weight loss stats." Are there stats for longer than 15 years available? Or when you say for life do we know of this surgery 20 or 25 years ago?

Also MsBatt you started saying exactly what my surgeon told me that RNY was reversible because the stomach is there. Are you talking about virgin RNY because that is making sense but I cant see how a very damaged sleeve (as in my case) revised to RNY can possibly be reversed if the RNY fails. Btw nobody told me an RNY could fail but you refer to failed RNY. In my case the future is looking very bleek for me. Save yourself Marquismark.

But look at the mechanics of the DS looks too complicated to be safe from some sort of breakdown and does anybody know if scar tissue can damage the mecanics of the DS? Did I just go "humm? Food for thought". Oh common, my future is bleak enough LOL

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

denise277
on 9/14/15 11:23 am - carteret, NJ

so when did you do the RNY and how much weight have u lost

HKT53
on 9/14/15 11:40 am - Toronto, Canada

I did my RNY on July 10th. Until August 10th, I lost 25 bls. Since then to date one day up a pound next day down a pound (I just call this fluctuation and a major long stall) So now 34 days and not any weight loss. Believe me, Im following guidelines. I am having major diarrhea and am now coming to realization that it could be the whey in the protein shakes (apparently just learned this is related to milk products and seem to have developed a lactose intolerance problem). I will let you know after I have lengthy conversation with surgeon and NUT. That is why I am disappointed and maybe the DS would have been an answer. However, seeing the diagrams on the DS and the mess my stomach was in topped off with an extreme amount of damage with scar tissue. I was thinking the DS would have been a problem for me. Some say that there is no way out after a RNY but that is not true....your stomach remains right there if there is a problem. You should have some dialog with surgeon regarding your case being adaptable to DS and that benefit or RNY. Be sure to ask advice if scar tissue can damage DS or is that way clear of the stomach and sleeve. Again, I only ask this because my sleeve was done 25 years ago and not laprascopically. I was opened up from breastbone to belly button. That in itself might be why I had so much scar tissue damage.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics