Thinking about DS instead of RNY (from Lap-Band)

Felicity Q.
on 9/10/15 9:01 pm, edited 9/12/15 1:52 pm
DS on 09/28/15

((Edited post - originally asking about eRNY instead of RNY... now thinking about DS instead of RNY))

I've had a lap-band since 2010 and only lost 40lb with the band (380lb to 340lb) and over the last 2 months with a ton of diet and exercise, I have dropped 25lb for which I consider "on my own" since the band never gives me the right restriction.  Anyway.

I am set-up and scheduled for an RNY on Sept 28th. I've been having second thoughts - not whether or not to have surgery, but second thoughts on whether the RNY is the way I want to go. I am still SMO and want to lose 175lb.  I am doubting myself, thinking maybe a DS might be better for me since I am at such a high weight? I was originally averse to the idea of a DS because I didn't think I could eat 120g of protein per day. Now, since logging my food over the last 2 months, I think it is do-able.

My insurance gave a blanket approval for WLS and band removal, so I am pretty sure my options are open if I wanted to change the procedure.  Or should I just shut up and get the RNY?  Any advice?  Is this the WLS version of being stir-crazy?  Anyone else have these same doubts?

Thanks all in advance for your words of wisdom!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/11/15 12:40 pm

If you consider ERNY - why not DS?

from what I know -  ERNY may be worse than DS - because not only you may end up with  serious vitamin - mineral deficiency - but RNY part of dumping, possible ulcers in remnant stomach, etc...

another one is newer "SIPS" that is like RNY and DS combined - but with sleeve and not as much bypassed version as DS

google SIPS WLS... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MsBatt
on 9/11/15 8:01 pm

There is not enough money in the world to pay me to get an eRNY. (Probably not enough for a regular RNY, either.)

Research a procedure called the Duodenal Switch. It has a Sleeved, and therefore fully functional, stomach, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of (either) RNY. The DS does NOT have dumping issues, rarely has food intolerances, allows you to still take NSAIDs as needed, and has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats. AND the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

The DS 'diet' is high in both protein AND fat. DSers only absorb 20% of the fat we eat---and this malabsorption is PERMANENT, unlike with the regular RNY. We also PERMANENTLY malabsorb about half the protein we eat, and about 40% of complex carbs. The vitamin supplement requirements for the DS are about the same as for the eRNY.

Felicity Q.
on 9/12/15 1:57 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Thanks Hala and MsBatt for your replies so far. I've had the DS in the back of my mind for a while, but was originally hesitant because of the higher protein requirement but after logging my food for the last 2 months, I am confident I could eat that amount of protein if needed.

* I know I can handle the high requirement for vitamins per day.

* I can drink 64oz+ water per day.

* I can eat 100g+ protein per day.

Has anyone else been in this situation and felt torn between the two surgeries? What ultimately helped you make your choice?  I don't have any co-morbidities, my BMI is currently 50.8 (At my consult in June it was 54.8) and I know my insurance would cover either surgery.

I'll also read the DS forum a bit more to see what DS'ers are talking about.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

MsBatt
on 9/17/15 8:49 am

I was never 'torn'---the RNY scared the crap outta me, but before I learned about the DS I thought it was my only option. (Other than dying, and I just did NOT like that option. *grin*)

There are several things that the DS offered me that the RNY did not. I NEED NSAIDs, daily, and always will. With the RNY, NSAIDs are a big no-no. Diabetes runs heavily in both sides of my family. I was not diabetic, but I wanted the surgery that gave me the best chance of never becoming diabetic. High cholesterol also runs in my family, and mine was climbing rapidly. (Since my DS, my total cholesterol runs about 100.)

And---quality of life. Now, for some people, the RNY lifestyle is fine. I did NOT think I would be very happy with what I was seeing people with the RNY talk about eating. I was born a carnivore, and I prefer raich fatty meats, full-fat cheeses, and my shrimp wrapped in bacon. The DS 'diet' just sounded more like how I've always preferred to eat anyway.

Nearly 12 years later, I'm confident I made the best possible choice for ME.

south2north
on 9/12/15 4:18 pm
DS on 11/19/14

It's definitely a personal decision on what will work best for you long term.  I am a band to DS revision.  My bmi was 59 when I started, almost 10 months later it is 38.  Being able to eat a high protein/full fat diet has been very satisfying.  

I still drink a premier protein shake every day to make sure I get enough protein in, but fortunately I never grew tired of them and actually enjoy them!

What scared me about the DS when I was researching it was people saying they had issues with diarrhea and gas.  That has not been a problem at all.  I'm usually one and done every morning.

If you are scheduled for September, I would slow this train down and take as much time as you need to further research which procedure is right for you.  Best wishes on your journey.

Lisa09
on 9/12/15 4:52 pm - NH

Good luck in deciding, Felicity. I'm sure you'll talk to your WLS team for their input too. Keep us posted.

Best,

Lisa

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

sarasar7
on 9/14/15 3:53 pm

yes I am going through the same thing I'm thinking the ds is for me but my surgeon and I have not really discussed this. I had the sleeve originally but wanted the rny but could not because of a previous wrapped hernia. he fixed that and now rny is possible. I want to have what will work but fearful of ds results. any feedback would be appreciated thank you sara  

MsBatt
on 9/17/15 8:43 am

Can you explain what you mean by " I want to have what will work but fearful of ds results."? The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. What 'results' are you afraid of? Trust me, 99% of the DS 'horror stories' you hear are untrue.

I'm almost 12 years post-op from my DS. I live a far more 'normal' life now than I did before surgery. Yes, I take a handful of vitamins four times a day---but it's always been easier for me to 'do' something than to 'not do' something. Taking vitamins is a lot easier for me to 'do' than the 'not do' of resisting tasty food all day every day. (*grin*)

sarasar7
on 9/25/15 9:48 pm

just wanted to let you know if I pass my pulmonary tests my dr will do the ds. I'm so excited because everyone says the ds is the best for weight loss. please stay in touch you sound like you know whats going on and I would love to have your wisdom thank you so much. sara

Most Active
Recent Topics