VSG to RNY?

Jeni_In_Sarasota
on 10/11/15 3:24 am - Sarasota, FL

I had gotten a VSG in 2010 in Mexico. I lost a total of 75 lbs after about a year. I went from 330 to about 255. I never really felt sick, I got fuller a LITTLE faster and I hit the gym hardcore. Well in just over a year and a half after the surgery I had gained all of the weight back. It's now 2015 and I am still right where I started in 2010. I feel like the biggest failure. I'm 6'1 and I need to loose at least 100 lbs. I'm saving money to get back to Mexico for an revision surgery to RNY. Does anyone have experience doing this? I'm terried I will be a failure again. Putting a surgery deposit down soon for March and just hope I'm making the right choice. Thanks!

Felicity Q.
on 10/11/15 10:38 am, edited 10/11/15 3:38 am
DS on 09/28/15

Are you completely convinced on needing an RNY? You already have half of a DS with your sleeved stomach - you would only need the 'switch' part. Compared to other WLS, the DS has the highest long-term success rate. (Source)

RNY

EWL% at 1-2 years 48%-85%

EWL% at 3-6 years 53%-77%

EWL% at 7-10 years 25%-68%

DS

EWL% at 1-2 years 65%-83%

EWL% at 3-6 years 62%-81%

EWL% at 7-10 years 60%-80%

There's a well-respected DS surgeon in Mexico as well: http://www.mexicalibariatric.com/

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

stormechaser
on 10/14/15 7:08 am
DS on 06/08/17

Hey!! Wow, I think we are in the same boat.

I had my VSG in Mexico in 2007. I lost 80lbs and have gained back all but 30. Starting weight was 330. I was diagnosed last year with a dilated fundus. The new surgeon said it was a surgical error and not from overeating. That made me feel better, but still pissed that I regained.

Anyway, I am pursuing a revision as well. I go back and forth about the DS and RNY. I know the obvious choice is the DS due to already having the VSG...but the RNY is a viable option in my opinion. My sister had it and so did several friends-albeit not as a revision. They are all doing well, some have had regains and complications, but none have been life threatening. I trust the surgical team I am seeing and I don't think it's a bad idea to revise to an RNY.

My experience on this board is that there are genuine people who want to help, but there are several rabid DSrs who will belittle and demean you for the RNY choice. I have blocked quite a few as I don't need the negativity in my life. I believe that we all come here for support, not to be bullied.

Good luck with your decisions and keep us posted!

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

Hotchic
on 10/15/15 10:00 pm

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better..you rock

Terrie Foust
on 10/18/15 1:31 pm - NC

I had VSG in 2013. Lost 90 lbs and have gained 40 of it back... feel like a complete failure. Considering getting a revision to the RNY... but don't know where to start. I contacted a local hospital and they were very rude about it. And not really convinced about going back to where I had my sleeve done. I think I may be saying something wrong when contacting facilities about a revision. Someone please help. I asked for help in several of the "support groups" on Facebook but only got negative feedback and comments such as "of the sleeve didn't work for you then nothing else will".. we are all in this boat together and living a healthier life is all I am looking to do. IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME???

Most Active
Recent Topics