DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU WILL HAVE A LIFETIME OF DIARRHEA AFTER HAVING A...

Charmaine C.
on 12/30/15 6:36 am - Columbus, OH

Does anyone know if you will have a lifetime of Diarrhea after having a revision to DS to fix a enlarged Stoma? I must have a revision to fix my enlarge stoma of over 3 cm big in size and my stomach was measure still at 8 ounces. This is the largest stoma my doctor seen. He's back and fourth between really doing the DS or Lap band. Has a one experience diarrhea or having a enlarge stoma.

cmcelfish
on 12/30/15 10:01 am

Don't let them do a lap band most revisions are to remove the band and switch to something else.Many Dr. Won't do lap bands some insurance companies won't even pay for fills. In the U k they have stopped doing them

Ladytazz
on 1/3/16 5:23 pm

It has a lot to do with compliance and how well your surgery was done.  I had a DS and constant diarrhea, however I ate crap and I had a lousy DS surgeon.  I wound up with blind limb syndrome and Chronic Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth.  

I did have a revision and it fixed my problems.  Now I have a 200 cc common channel instead of a 100 cc common channel and a RNY pouch instead of a sleeve.  My biggest issue is constipation now.

Most of the people who have really experienced DS surgeons do well and don't seem to have problems with diarrhea and smelly gas and stool.  What you can do is find other patients of your surgeon and see how they are doing.  Find out how experienced your surgeon is.

If you are having a revision from a RNY to a DS you really need to make sure the surgeon has a lot of experience doing such a revision.  There is a short list of experts at this revision.  You can get more info on the DS board.

I agree with the other poster.  Avoid the lap band at any costs.  A RNY comes with it's own set if issues, as does most other WLS but when you combine the RNY with a lap band you are bound to be sorry.  I have heard of very few who have been successful with the BOB (band over bypass).

No matter when surgery you have or get you still need to watch what you eat.  Simple carbs like sugar and refined flour are all absorbed 100% no matter what surgery you have.  If those are a problem for you than your best success will be counseling along with surgery.

Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Sharon H.
on 1/7/16 12:02 pm

I don't know but from my research it looks like it depends more on what you eat and the length of your common channel.  As far as what you eat - that seems to go a long way in managing the foul gas and diarrhea. Since I am chronically constipated, I actually don't think it will be such a bad thing.

es

Holdenwhat
on 4/1/16 10:14 am

I had a revision from a RNY to a DS. Once my body adjusted, which took about 4-5 months, I never have diarrhea. I pretty much poop once, first thing in the morning, and that's it. Occasionally another during the day but no more than a normal person and definitely not diarrhea. I get gas, depending on what I eat and when my body is adjusting itself. I had an enlarged stoma with my RNY- everything I ate sailed right through my pouch into my small intestine which made me dump, then hypoglycemic. It was a horrible battle of eating constantly to maintain a stable blood sugar and I gained 170 pounds (I only lost 35 pounds with my RNY). The DS was the best thing I've ever done. 

Charmaine C.
on 4/6/16 11:13 am - Columbus, OH

Thank you for replying. My surgeon decided to do a revision of the RYN. cutting stomach smaller and part of the small intestine where the enlarge stoma is. My stomach already small ( a cup) and his going to make it about a 1/2 cup.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 4/6/16 12:42 pm

Yah, most surgeons actually CAN'T do the RNY to DS revision. RNY surgeons just do yet another type of RNY.

Many of the problems of RNY stem from cutting your pyloric valve out of the picture, and trying to make that man made stoma work, so it may be that since you still have a stoma, you will still dump, have reactive hypoglycemia, regain, whatever. I hope it works, but I personally would do more research. Surgery is a big deal.

There are so many that go from the frying pan into the fire with one problematic RNY to the next, that I would make CERTAIN your surgeon does not cut off the pyloric valve and remove it from the body (normally it's cut and left in the body, so it could be restored if necessary - by one of the very few surgeons I referred to before) but if they remove that valve, it could end the option for fixing future problems. You don't want that. 

hipswishingvinegarball
on 4/2/16 5:05 pm

If by fixing you stoma and making it a smaller stoma, you will not have a DS, but some other form of RNY, probably actually ERNY. If that is the case, you are more likely to have issues than with any of the other surgeries (except band, with I don't consider a viable WLS anymore, because of the myriad of problems with it, and that it's temporary). 

If you get revised to an actual DS, and only a very few surgeons in the US can do the complicated RNY to DS revision, and restore your own pyloric valve (that's what regulates the food as it moves from stomach to intestines) then you should be OK if you don't eat like a maniac.

If you still have a stoma in place of your own pyloric valve on the bottom of your stomach, then you may still experience food leaving the stomac too fast, as well as increased incidence of dumping syndrome and reactive hypoglycemia (both of those are common with RNY surgeries because of the stoma).

Who is your surgeon?

Most Active
Recent Topics