Welcome experiences: Potential sleeve to RNY revision

Indygirl72
on 1/16/16 1:07 pm
VSG on 11/22/12

I am looking for anyone's experiences. I was sleeved Nov 2012 at 312lbs. I was down to 219 by Oct 2014. Since then, I've gained most of weight back, mostly due to EXTREME acid reflux. I have had reflux since surgery, but progressively gotten worse. I've been on the following meds:  Protonix, Aciphex, Prilosec, Prevacid, Zantac, Gaviscon, Dexilant, and a couple others. I'm currently taking two doses of Protonix and Baclofen a day. The Baclofen is to help with my LPR (sphincter at esophagus allows acid into throat). I also have a 4cm hiatal hernia that was found during my endoscopy. I was also told I have esophagitis from acid in my esophagus. I am currently using the Reza Band to try to help with acid in throat at night (it looks like a dog collar). I found out this past Monday that I may be able to have a revision to help with the GERD and hiatal hernia. I have an appt this Thursday to discuss with my surgeon. I called my insurance and could only give me the same pre-qual info for revisions as was for my original surgery. I have United Healthcare that manages claims for my company that is self-insured. Please respond with your experiences?  How long after decision to do revision did you actually have surgery?  Did acid reflux go away with revision?  How much have you lost after this type of revision?  I'm excited to find out there's a possibility of fixing this acid, but super afraid I won't be able to have the surgery. Losing the weight again would be awesome as I'm bummed I gained the weight back..but this acid is life debilitating!!!

Baby1234
on 1/17/16 7:28 pm

You need to revise to RNY ASAP.

Indygirl72
on 1/21/16 6:57 pm
VSG on 11/22/12

I met with my surgeon today and we are going forward with the RNY. They have submitted to the insurance for approval. My surgeon told me I should have contacted their office sooner and they can help me. I'm ecstatic!!!!  

cajunlady1958
on 1/26/16 3:44 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
I just had a revision from sleeve to RNY on December 30, 2015. I had a lot of the same problems that you are having with the acid reflux and GERD. Since having the surgery I have not had any acid reflux or Gerd, and my doctor says if I continue to improve he will discontinue my protonix all together.

I was sleeved on 4/2012 and lost about 115 pounds but over the years I have regained about 50 pounds. So I have to lose what I gained and hopefully continue down to goal. I am regaining my energy a lot slower with this surgery but I am older, wish I was wiser, but I am taking it one day at a time. Sending prayers and best wishes for a successful revision.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Indygirl72
on 1/26/16 6:26 pm
VSG on 11/22/12

Thank you for your story. Please keep me updated on your progress. I just received insurance approval today and am looking to have surgery in 2-3 weeks, depending on the surgeons' schedules. I'm really hoping this reflux goes away. I want to lose my weight again, but my top priority is getting rid of this throat pain. 

Good luck in your healing journey :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics