Need to have revision from lap band to what is the ?

Anita C.
on 1/18/16 8:29 am

I have Lap Band done 7 years ago and am back to the beginning weight I started with Scary!

I feel so much pain in my adbomen and it looks like the port has dropped. Going to see my surgoen on 1/29 regarding Revision. He things Gastric is the way to go.

I also have 3 hernias that need to be removed so Im all over the place.

I was wondering for those who have done Lap Band Revision what was your choice and how did you do?

I would like some insight and your opinion on your decision you made.

All would be appreciated

acbbrown
on 1/18/16 12:06 pm - Granada Hills, CA

You need to do a lot of research of all surgery types. Each had pros and cons and slightly different benefits and consequences. Learn about the life style that comes with each one. 

I'm not a revision but for me RNY was never an option bc of the NSAID restriction (I have an auto immune disorder which requires me to take them) and the re-routing of intestines wasn't worth a very short period of malabsorption of calories +lifetime malabsorption of vitamins. I wasn't comfortable with  blind stomach that's not scope able nor was I comfortable living without a pyloric valve.  

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Baby1234
on 1/18/16 3:17 pm

I suffered with my failed lapband since 2004.It was a failure and it ruined my esophagus.I experienced constant sliming,vomiting,and acid reflux.Pain at my protruding port site.I gained all the weight back....a complete mess.I finally was able to revise because the band slipped and was beginning to erode.I just had Revision to bypass Dec 28.I had it all in one surgery....So glad...surgery was tough...but no regrets.

sfayad
on 1/19/16 6:05 pm - Canada

I had a lap band put in in 2013 and from the time it went in I had nothing but problems. The lap band in regards to weight loss is a bunch of garbage. They don't work and don't provide long term success 

I lost no weight all I did with the band was vomit. I would vomit on water alone. It was a total waste of money and in the years that I have known about the band 1-1000 have success. Poor results for a weight loss tool. 

So I decided to have a revision done , I had the lap band removed and RNY preformed and wow the success is absolutly amazing. He only down fall is going through the bariatric program takes about a year from orientation to surgery is a long haul but one worth the trouble. 

If your going to have weight loss surgery get the surgery that's most successful. And the most successful is the RNY 

i intially wanted something that had minimal surgery and it turned out to be a huge mistake. The lap band is garbage get the R NY and get real results with long term success 

dont know if you have insurance or  pay out of pocket. If you go though a program it takes about a year to get surgery once you complete the program. Also you have Mexico that will do the surgery and not wait the year. About 9-12000$ US if you go to Mexico. 

good luck. 

Simon 

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/16 8:47 pm

If you shop carefully you can actually get it done for a lot less than that in Mexico. I was very happy with the care I got in Mexico, probably better than I would have got locally in the US.

sfayad
on 1/19/16 11:40 pm - Canada

Your very right. They are very professional and very high quality. The only difference is the name of the country. The Hosp is top notch and the price make it very attractive. 

Good luck in all your endeavours 

simon

White Dove
on 1/20/16 3:29 am - Warren, OH

Back in 2007 there was an advertisement on TV where hunger was a roaring lion and the lapband conquered the lion.  I made an appointment based on that commercial for a lapband.  The surgeon recommended RNY instead.

I was 59 years old.  He told me he would be more willing to do the lapband if I was in my 30's but at my age did not want to put me through the lapband experience and then revision to RNY when it did not work for me.

RNY worked amazingly well.  I had no hunger, no nausea, was full of energy and the weight fell off effortlessly.  I did have a regain of 12 pounds starting in month 30.  My surgeon thinks I would have done as well with the sleeve.  It was not available when I had surgery.

NSAIDS are no longer recommended for any weight loss patient.  One of my friends takes them anyway for her back and has had very bad ulcers. 

I am never hungry and still satisfied with very small meals.  I am still within three pounds of my goal weight. 

The sleeve requires you to eat small amounts of food, but every calorie is absorbed from day 1.  I really liked that 30 months of malabsorption.  The malabsorption does not ever completely go away but many people learn to eat around it and regain their weight.

The same is true with the sleeve.  Your end results will depend on how dedicated you are to your die****er, food tracking, weighing, exercise and avoiding sugar and simple carbs.  No surgery is magic.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/20/16 11:29 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

In the same boat so I will be following your responses as well.  I talked to my doctor about the sleeve when in for my first appointment, but i have wavered and will certainly consider RNY if he suggests it's a better choice for me.  I will talk with him Monday to find out what he thinks based on the test he sent me for this week.

Good luck and keep in touch about how you make your choice. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Baby1234
on 1/21/16 4:55 pm

I am happy with the RNY...absolutely.

Most Active
Recent Topics