Lap Band Revision at time of removal vs removal and revised later???

Faytona
on 1/21/16 12:02 am - Gold Hill, OR

So I am pre-authed for removal and revision. The catch is my original surgeon is not a preferred provider. So I went to the nearest surgeon who is 2 hours away.  He is completely willing to remove my band and then revise me in 6 months if I meet criteria???????

He told me he will not revise me at the same time that is was not the standard and if any doctor told me that they were going to revise me at the time of my band removal that they were crazy and that is not the standard and should not be practicing???????. My original surgeon said he would revise me at the same time if scar tissue allowed. He said he has only seen 2 he would not revise at the same time???

So how many of you REVISORS had your revision done at the same time your band was removed? How many had it in multiple steps and how long did you have to wait and did any of you have complications????

Baby1234
on 1/21/16 4:51 pm

My revision was touch but he fixed my hernia,removed my band and did bypass.

Faytona
on 1/21/16 6:34 pm - Gold Hill, OR

Thanks for responding!

Baby1234
on 1/22/16 12:20 am

Do you like this doctor is there a hospital known as a center of excellence for bariatric near you?I didn't want to go under anesthesia twice.This is why I opted for all in one.You need a very experienced surgeon who can do it...6 months?? Nonsense.

Faytona
on 1/25/16 8:36 pm - Gold Hill, OR

Actually, it was the bizzarest experience of my life.  YES, they are Bariatric Center of Excellence. He is a surveyor.  It was extremely unprofessional of him to say what he said! No I don't trust him. I don't trust his insurance coordinator, she argued with me for 15 minutes regarding what my insurance would pay for. Inspite of the fact, that I have spoke with my RN at the insurance who told me I just need to find a surgeon at certain facilities to perform the procedures. They feel I was successful with my band and I am having a complication of it. So they WANT to pay for it!  I also have another insurance that has bariatric allowance.  The insurance coordinator didn't even get to that part because she is a KNOW-IT-ALL!

Thanks for responding!

DonnaMaria
on 1/22/16 12:06 pm

Hi. I am having the sleeve February 2nd. I had my band out a month ago. 

Faytona
on 1/25/16 9:09 pm - Gold Hill, OR

DonnaMaria, Good Luc****ep us updated!

michele1
on 1/23/16 2:07 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

I had my band removed, a hernia repair, scar tissue removed and the sleeve at the same time. No complications except extreme nausea and vomiting right after surgery, which is one of the reasons I wanted it all at once......anesthesia is not my friend post surgery.  My surgeon has many years experience doing revisions

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

L. 68
on 1/25/16 9:38 am

Hi Faytona,

I believe in doing what the doctor says but your doctor didn't explain why you cant have it done at the same time.  It seems that he didn't even explain that u can have it done at the same time if there is no problems.  If that is his standards than he should own that not make it a general rule for all doctors and accused them of bad practice lol who the hell does he think he is..

My doctor explained it can be done at the same time if there are no scar tissue esophogitis (spelling ?) or anything that would prevent him from doing it in the same time, that is why he sent me to get an upper GI and barium swallow with esophogus mobility xray's.  I DID THAT TODAY YEAHHHHHHH cant wait for results to determine if its going to be one surgery or two..If that is not the case then he EXPLAINED that he will remove the band and let things heal for 6 weeks than do the sleeve..  Not really happy with that because im inpatient and afraid of gaining so much while waiting but if i have to i have to...

good luck in finding someone else that can explain why's or why not's..

rblain.

Faytona
on 1/25/16 8:53 pm - Gold Hill, OR

R Blain! Thanks for responding! I agree!

Please keep me informed of how things go for you! Will say a prayer, send hugs and positive thoughts your way!

Most Active
Recent Topics