Revision from VSG to RNY due to weight regain?

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/16 11:46 pm - Beloit, WI
VSG on 02/18/13

I had my VSG on 02-18-2013 at 383#.  I got down to 211# prior to having my right knee replaced, late April 2014.  I gained back 90# by January 2016 due to issues with my left knee, too.  I couldn't get that one replaced, as it wasn't popping out on me, like the right.  I'm too young (45), even though it's bone on bone.  Besides, I had to get down to 220# before having the right knee replaced.  Anyway, the possibility of revision was discussed prior to my VSG.  My surgeon and I decided on the VSG, because I was confined to a wheelchair at 436#, and would have to lose over 100# to have the RNY (no one local does the DS and I prefer to stay closer to home, even though it's 90 minutes to go to my weight loss surgeon).  I only lost the weight that I did, pre-op, because I took phentermine.  Anyway, I recently had stomach X-rays done, at my local hospital.  They said they didn't see any evidence of weight loss surgery, but they aren't all familiar with the VSG down here.  I had the results forwarded to my surgeon and am waiting on the results.  I should hear from his office soon, as he's been out on vacation.  Meanwhile, I suffer from nausea, frequently, since my surgery.  I have promethazine to take as needed.  I had GERD, pre-op, and still take Prilosec twice a day.  The only other issue that I have is I have a hard time swallowing sometimes.  Those were two other reasons they did the X-rays, other than to check if my stomach stretched.  My doctor did say they saw really bad reflux, but I don't get an acid feeling, just nausea.  Could the nausea be from the reflux?  I heard reflux can be one reason that stretching happens.  I knew I could eat more, but never thought about my stomach stretching.  Just figured the effect of the surgery had worn off.  I'm hoping for a revision to RNY and that it will help with the reflux.  Not sure if it will help with nausea, though.

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/16 3:22 pm - Beloit, WI
VSG on 02/18/13

Read that the nausea, and trouble swallowing, could be from reflux.  Just sent a message to my nurse practitioner about those test results.

acbbrown
on 2/12/16 12:48 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I've never consulted a surgeon about it, but I've read things through out the years that VSG to RNY could be risky... 

Its one thing to need a revision if reflux is totally uncontrollable and you've exhausted every method including diet and med regimens ... I know Prilosec is good for some ppl but I personally needed something much stronger. 

It's a whole other story to do it for weight loss purposes. This might sound harsh but if you couldn't make the sleeve work then there's little chance that the RNY is going to offer much more. Sure you'll get malabsorption temporarily but you will ultimately be left with a restriction only tool. You need to stop and be completely honest about why you regained. My guess is that you don't have control over your eating or you didn't change your diet lifestyle. As someone who has been through 2 back surgeries and regained 70+ lbs I could blame my regain on a lot of things but I don't. I've learned to take complete responsibility and acknowledge my issues with food. I've managed to lose 30+ lbs of the regain by dealing with the real issues. 

I hope you're able to figure things out no matter what route you choose and wish you nothing but the best. If you want more info on how I'm losing the regain feel free to PM me. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/16 6:08 pm - Beloit, WI
VSG on 02/18/13

Thank you!

sheriberi29
on 2/15/16 6:09 am - Cleveland, TN

I've seen on bariatric pal and other support sites where people have revised to rny from sleeve for multiple reasons . I'm not experienced with that because I'm revising from band. 

Most Active
Recent Topics