Do you think I'm ready for revision? Lapland to RNY

conazza
on 4/16/16 4:29 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

In 2006 I had lapland surgery. I was 260 before the surgery and only lost about 50 lbs. My weight crept up a bit but was able to maintain between a 40-45 lb loss. Wasn't thrilled I didn't lose more but was happy to be stable.

This past year I began realizing that I was having reflux and probably had it for quite some time. I slowly got worst so I ended up having a complete unfill in September. I went for a barium swallow and an endoscopy that didn't show any problems and the reflux was better for a bit. However, it came back and so did getting stuck, almost as like when I had fluid in the band. I take Nexum everyday and that helps a bit, but I know I need the band out. It can't come out fast enough.

The concern I have is that over the past year I've been going to the gym and taking water aerobics classes as well and getting a personal trainer and doing some work with weights. Even with all of this I wasn't losing weight but I also wasn't gaining. Then in November I fell and broke my foot and could not go to the gym for 4 months. That is literally the only thing that changed and I gained 20 lbs!!!!

I'm back at the gym and slowly building up my routine again. I'd like to have a revision from the band to RNY but I'm concerned I'll go through all of that and still not lose weight and I just don't want to deal with that all that for nothing. I want to be as healthy as I can be, I eat healthy and I work out but I'm past menopause and it's clearly not easy for me to lose weight. I was hoping that now that I do have decent eating and exercise habits the RNY would be a great tool, but I'm concerned that I'll either not lose weight, or lose it and gain it back if I break something again. HaHa... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/17/16 10:27 am

I had RNY almost 8 years ago.  Now when I want to lose some weight - diet is the only way. Exercise makes me feel better, but I also get hungry more when I exercise. 

To lose weight I need to follow low carb diet, moderate proteins and moderate fat.  

Even so called "good carbs" prevent me from losing weight.  My body is very carb sensitive. 

I eat meat, fish, eggs, plus non starchy veggies.  Olives, avocado and nuts are my fat sources.  I may have some fruits - but mostly berries , and only once every 2-3 weeks. 

Not only what I eat - but total calories count for me.  But I can eat more calories if I eat low carbs... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

conazza
on 4/17/16 7:00 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

I'm just trying to decide if I should even get the RNY or not. If I'm this slow to lose now, will the surgery help much?

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

Ashley in Belgium
on 4/18/16 11:51 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Hi Norma,

I had a LapBand in 2006 as well and I have been incredibly happy with my revision to RNY in 2013.  You can read about my journey in my profile under the about me tab if you are interested in a more detailed response.  

Everyone here at some point (IMO) asks themselves if WLS will work for them or if they will be the only one who it doesn't work for.  Completely normal to worry about that. I will say that you are almost guaranteed to lose weight post-op RNY, but whether you keep it off long term will be entirely up to you and how you use your tool.  RNY got the weight off for me, but it is my diligence and commitment to my eating plan that keeps it off. For the past 18 months I have stopped all formal exercise and in fact lead a very sedentary life which has zero impact on my ability to maintain my weight.  It really is about calories in vs calories spent.  

I am 100% convinced that RNY saved my life and would have the revision every year over and over if needed.  

Hope this helps.  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
Recent Topics