Embarrassed, but... I need a revision

SmilinsShrinking
on 4/21/16 11:19 am - Kent, WA
DS on 08/05/16

I had the lap band back in 2008 (that I paid for out of pocket). Before surgery, I was 390. I worked so hard and followed the doctor's orders. I lost 40 pounds pre-op and another 100 pounds after being banded. I had only 1 fill that was successful.  

Life happened, my weight was not 100% my obsession, and the weight crept back on. My surgeon had since retired. I've lost 100+ pounds by dieting two more times since then, only to gain it back almost as quickly as I've lost it.    The other day, my Bestie and I added it up, and I have lost more than 450 pounds in my life, and yet here I am, 360 pounds. *blush*

I am a good person, who loves life, takes good care of the people... I have so much more that I'd like to do in my life, but this weight is really slowing me down.

I'm researching doing a revision from band to DS, hoping that the one two punch, of smaller stomach with malabsorption might finally be the key to helping me not only lose the weight, but more importantly, keeping it off.

I'm seriously looking at the surgeons in Mexico for revision, as in Washington, it looks like it starts at $30,000 for what I'm hoping to have done, and I do not have that kind of money.

If any if you have any experience with band to DS revisions in Mexico (good and bad) I'd really appreciate your insight.

Thank you?

hollykim
on 4/21/16 2:14 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 21, 2016 at 6:19 PM Pacific Time, SmilinsShrinking wrote:

I had the lap band back in 2008 (that I paid for out of pocket). Before surgery, I was 390. I worked so hard and followed the doctor's orders. I lost 40 pounds pre-op and another 100 pounds after being banded. I had only 1 fill that was successful.  

Life happened, my weight was not 100% my obsession, and the weight crept back on. My surgeon had since retired. I've lost 100+ pounds by dieting two more times since then, only to gain it back almost as quickly as I've lost it.    The other day, my Bestie and I added it up, and I have lost more than 450 pounds in my life, and yet here I am, 360 pounds. *blush*

I am a good person, who loves life, takes good care of the people... I have so much more that I'd like to do in my life, but this weight is really slowing me down.

I'm researching doing a revision from band to DS, hoping that the one two punch, of smaller stomach with malabsorption might finally be the key to helping me not only lose the weight, but more importantly, keeping it off.

I'm seriously looking at the surgeons in Mexico for revision, as in Washington, it looks like it starts at $30,000 for what I'm hoping to have done, and I do not have that kind of money.

If any if you have any experience with band to DS revisions in Mexico (good and bad) I'd really appreciate your insight.

Thank you?

the only group in MX that I would personally consider for revision is Mexicali Bariatrics in Mexicalli. 

SmilinsShrinking
on 4/21/16 4:46 pm - Kent, WA
DS on 08/05/16
On April 21, 2016 at 9:14 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
On April 21, 2016 at 6:19 PM Pacific Time, SmilinsShrinking wrote:

Thank you?

the only group in MX that I would personally consider for revision is Mexicali Bariatrics in Mexicalli. 

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I'm just starting my research, do I'll definitely check them out. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/16 8:42 am

I don't have experience to share but would like to say don't feel embarrassed. Here you are making a good choice for your future. Many of us need more than one shot to "get this right". I did not have a revision but did have my surgery in Mexico and will only say good things about the experience and the quality of care I received. I too have read a lot about Mexicali Bariatrics being a good choice for a revision. Good luck

SmilinsShrinking
on 4/23/16 1:33 pm, edited 4/23/16 6:34 am - Kent, WA
DS on 08/05/16

Thank you so much for your response.

sheriberi29
on 4/23/16 7:06 pm - Cleveland, TN

Do you have any insurance ? I know you said you paid out of pocket for your initial surgery... Is your insurance situation the same as it was before ?? 

Sometimes you can get a revision surgery paid for  even if your current insurance co didn't pay to have your band placed 

SmilinsShrinking
on 4/23/16 8:32 pm - Kent, WA
DS on 08/05/16

My current insurance has no wls coverage, but my husband is going to check to see if he adds me to his, if it could cover at least the testing and follow up care needed.

Stacey W.
on 4/25/16 1:10 am - Denham Springs, LA

Wow - this is my first post in YEARS!

I was banded in Sept 2006. Starting weight 332. Lowest weight 172. Current weight 260.

My band is being removed due to complications (slip, reflux and esophageal dilation). I'm having a revision to GB. 

Cash price in Baton Rouge, LA $20,000.

The band is a tough tool to work with - we did the best we could with what we had. Revision gives us a second chance at the life we deserve. No shame in that. 

Stacey
332/228/282/232/182/132 - B4/now/1st/2nd/3rd goal/GOAL
This time I will NOT fail!!!!

SmilinsShrinking
on 4/25/16 12:34 pm - Kent, WA
DS on 08/05/16

Hi Stacey. Welcome back :-) 

Thank you for your reply. I am feeling better each day... moving toward where I want to be.

Best of luck to you as you move forward too! We DO deserve or best life!! I'm going to borrow your last line....

"Revision gives us a second chance at the life we deserve. No shame in that!"

RedHead86
on 4/27/16 12:15 pm

Are you on facebook? There's a group there called "duodenal switch" it's a closed group (private) but anyone can join and there are several people that revised from sleeve and band to DS in Mexico.

Most Active
Recent Topics