LapBand removed 8yrs ago, would having VSG be considered a revision?

ImShellNurse
on 4/21/16 2:23 pm

I had Lap Band in 2007 after 2 slips and 1 repair, I decided to have it removed after 17 months. I wanted VSG at the time but my bariatric surgery center did not do sleeves back in 2008.  My question is... is is still considered a revision if the first surgery was 8 years ago?  I have had no procedures in between. I had great weight loss with the band (>70lbs) but year by year my weight has crept up until I am literally back where I started originally.  Another issue is that although I haven't changed jobs in those 8 years, our company changed insurance providers.  Anthem paid for the first surgery with an incredibly easy approval, but now I have Aetna who I have heard is a lot harder.  Any advice?

DonnaMaria
on 4/21/16 4:59 pm

Hi. You would be considered a revision patient. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/16 8:44 am

I too would think you would be a revision patient since you undoubtedly have scar tissue etc in there from the band and then its removal. My ins doesn't cover WLS at all so I can't help you on that one. Good luck to you.

Brandy Novak
on 4/26/16 2:39 pm - North Richland Hills , TX

I have heard United is actually the hardest because they have a 1 in a lifetime policy so you should be ok. I wanted to share with you though that having a band myself many years ago I had a revision done to a sleeve and now I am on my way to bypass because my sleeve was botched. I am finding out through the process that you should never go from a band to a sleeve. The band does too much damage and the sleeve and the band are both considered restrictive surgeries only. They are essentially the same thing. I have now met with 3 different surgeons finding the right pick for me and they have all told me this. You should really do a ton of research on this topic because I know how hard it is to go through this whole issue of weight gain/loss. Its so painful and personal so I would love to help save you from any further issues. I wish someone would have told me that when I was going though this. Please let me know if you have any questions I would be happy to answer =) Good Luck ! 

Most Active
Recent Topics