Revision in 7 days

sheriberi29
on 4/26/16 4:29 am - Cleveland, TN

I was finally approved for revision from band to sleeve and now things are moving quickly. My original surgery was going to be may 9, and they called yesterday to ask me if I could move up to May 3rd . I'm excited but all of a sudden very scared, I guess this is normal, I've had a few surgeries and usually get a little teary when they come for me but now I'm kinda an emotional mess. Just worried about recovering with 2 year old twins ( I have help) but I know it won't be like recovering in quiet and guilt free ( guilt for not being able to get it there and pick them up ) I'm worried all of the sudden about a leak and just all sorts of thoughts going through my head. 

I am excited to get this opportunity and more than anything, hoping I wake up and my shoulder pain from my vagus nerve being irritated is gone.  

My psych appt was yesterday, today is a 4 hour nutrition class and tomorrow is surgeon final appointment. Dr Rutledge doesn't have any liquid diet requirements and I will just be doing 2 day bowel prep. 

Many thoughts or words of knowledge, experience , or support 

Linda_S
on 4/27/16 11:35 am - Eugene, OR

Is your surgeon Dr. Robert Rutledge?  How long has he been in practice in your area?

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

sheriberi29
on 4/27/16 12:43 pm - Cleveland, TN

He is dr jack Rutledge 

Linda_S
on 4/27/16 12:56 pm - Eugene, OR

Oh thank goodness!  I didn't want to be alarmist, but back in the day when I had my surgery, a friend dealt with Robert Rutledge near Las Vegas, and the result was terrible.  I'm glad it's not the same guy.  

Many good wishes for a successful surgery.  I had an RNY in 2007.  I do need a revision due to some major blood sugar issues, but my insurance does not cover bariatric surgery.  Am hoping to make the switch when I reach medicare, and am hoping I'm not too old by then!

sheriberi29
on 4/27/16 1:14 pm - Cleveland, TN

Thank you for looking out for me. What will you switch to ? Does the bypass cause blood sugar problems ? Any information is welcome as I'm having revision to bypass Tuesday my dr believes it is a much better option for me 

Linda_S
on 4/27/16 1:29 pm - Eugene, OR

The bypass can cause blood sugar problems, but it's supposedly rare and happens more often to males than females.  I, unfortunately, am a rare case.  Since the bypass literally bypasses the bottom of your stomach, you will no longer have the valve that regulates the flow of your digested food into your small intestines.  You also lose out on the intrinsic factor (an enzyme) that breaks down sugar before it passes on.  This is why many RNY patients 'dump.'  You may get a stomach ache, light-headed, etc., after eating sugar.  In my case, I've developed something called nesidioblastosis, which means my body reacts so severely to sugar (or starches that are easily converted to sugar) that my body floods with insulin and my blood sugar plummets and I get dizzy, sweaty, and can pass out.  My diet consists of protein and green vegetables -- that's about it.  Bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and sweets make me deathly ill.  With a blood sugar reading as low as 23, I'm lucky I'm still here.

I'd like to switch to a sleeve.  My surgeon has approved me for it, but my insurance won't pay.  I'm nearly 62 now, so hopefully, when I get to Medicare in three years, I'll get a revision if I can find a supplement that covers it, and they don't think I'm too old.  For now, I'm still considered a success because I lost more than 75% of my excess weight and have kept it off.

Most Active
Recent Topics