more risks ?

shoot4thestarsedu
on 4/29/16 1:53 am

?I spoke with my surgeon and he told me that having a revision is far more dangerous than a regular RNY? please anyone eles heard this ?

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/16 8:01 pm

Though I have no experience myself with this I  have heard the same thing. The words far more dangerous would scare me a little but in reality I can understand some of the reasons a revision is more dangerous. I will be interested to see the replies you receive.

sheriberi29
on 5/1/16 5:06 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm having revision to rny on Tuesday and my surgeon says that  there is a 5 times greater risk of a leakage due to damage on stomach from previous surgeries i.e. Staple lines Ect also adhesions ( scar tissue) longer operating room time,  but still the percentages are relatively low. 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

shoot4thestarsedu
on 5/1/16 6:51 am

thank toy for your response , I as so very scared to do it but my date 05/10/16 

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/16 10:06 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

I've never heard this, but I don't know why he would say it if there wasn't some truth to it. Ask for the 

figures and a list of exactly what could go wrong. Or of course search it online.

You've chosen to push ahead with this and I wish you the very best of luck on re -rediscovery. Whereas you

already know what to expect it has to be very exciting to get way back on track.

Good Luck!!!   Rich

Laura in Texas
on 5/3/16 6:45 pm

You are having VSG to RNY, correct? I don't know why that would be any more serious than an original RNY- they have to make the pouch and reattach the intestines. Nothing else must be "fixed". RNY to DS is much more dangerous because they have to try to reuse the part of the stomach with the pyloric valve and get that working again, plus disconnect and reattach the intestines differently. That is a much bigger deal.

If your surgeon does not sound like he is comfortable doing it, I would find someone else and get a second opinion.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Mysterygirl
on 5/7/16 12:54 am

I have been told by a surgeon not that it is "more dangerous" but that the risks of complications are much greater.  I was told it is because they are dealing with scar tissue and thus not healthy tissue.  (I know just from having tubes replaced in my ears that my left ear takes twice as long and is much more difficult due to it having scar tissue) so it seems like a logical explaination to me.  

Also, they have to cut around excessive scar tissue, repair any hernia(s) and often the scar tissue means that though they try to convert VBG to RNY laparoscopically about half the time they can't.  

Also. I was told the leadage rate was more than double from under 2% for RNY to 5% for revision of VBG to RNY again due to the spake line and the surgeon having to use the pouch that was previously created during the VBG.

all this said I am still trying to get approval and a surgery date to convert my 20 year old leaking VBG to RNY.  So don't let the stats deter you if it's what you want and need to do for you health.  Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics