Had revision but dont feel ANY difference.... is this normal?!?!

artificialdoll
on 5/8/16 9:00 pm

So I just had my revision surgery on April 19th -- I had my first RNY in 2009 and have gained about 50 lbs that I am looking to lose. I went to Mexico and met with a couple of other women having the sleeve surgery being done for the first time. After surgery they could barely sip three spoonfulls of broth but I was able to finish the entire bowl like it was nothing. Later that day I ordered two more bowls.

After my third day I decided screw it with this liquid diet I need a salad! I was able to finish the entire thing without a problem. Now I am back at home and feel like absolutely nothing has changed, I am able to eat just as much as before the revision was performed and I don't feel any different whatsoever. I am not less hungry, I don't feel full like I did the first time around with my RNY....   Is this normal??   The Dr says it is, that even though they made my pouch smaller I wouldn't be able to feel a difference because my body had already gone through this years ago and that as long as I stick to the recovery diet I'll see weight slowly come off.... but wouldn't it come off for anyone drinking liquids only for 4-5 weeks?!   I am beyond frustrated. I feel I paid to get stabbed in the stomach and sewed back up because I don't see ANY difference whatsoever. Can someone tell me if this is normal or if this is something I should be concerned with??   I'll appreciate ANY info/feedback I can get 
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/9/16 12:22 am

what type of a revision did you have?  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

artificialdoll
on 5/9/16 1:42 am

Since I had a gastric bypass they could only do a gastric bypass revision

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/9/16 1:56 am

so what exactly did they do? 

BTW: even with RNY - a very good surgeon could revise to sleeve or DS.. but only a very good surgeon. There are not many of them.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

artificialdoll
on 5/9/16 10:55 am

They claim they reduced the size of my pouch and made the opening to the intestines narrower or something like that. They said it was basically doing a gastric bypass all over.

However that is why I am asking if anyone has had this issue where you feel exactly the same after an RNY revision. I dont feel my pouch being smaller at all.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/9/16 11:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There are some minor variations on that type of RNY revision. But they all have a very poor track record.

STOP trying to figure out how much food you can cram in there! There is no way on earth you should be eating a salad, much less an entire salad. You need to start eating appropriate food for an RNY postop, and weighing appropriate portions, then STOPPING! If you continue in these behaviors, you will be gaining again. Soon.

It's now or never. No other surgery can help.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

artificialdoll
on 5/9/16 11:42 am

You're totally right, I hadn't thought of how ridiculous it is to try and figure out how much I can cram in there. I guess I was just freaking out thinking I had been ripped off and nothing had been performed (I flew to Mexico to have it done).

Thank you though for that reply, it was very eye opening.... I was just looking at the negatives.

MuttLover
on 5/11/16 7:19 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Also after surgery, everything is still healing, so you don't have full feeling in your stomach.  But as previously noted, regardless of what you feel your capacity is, your success will depend on following you food plan.  I just had revision to RNY on April 11 (reflux and some regain from my sleeve -- it was done while they were repairing a paraesphogeal hernia -- so I figured, why not!  Let's make sure that reflux is gone!)

But, I felt very little restriction etc on liquids and purees -- which is very normal for some people.  Nada.  No problems drinking, etc.  But that makes sense, liquids just basically flow through your system. 

As they say, the operation is on your stomach, not your mind.  So getting your mind is the right place an following your plan is more than half the battle.  Best of luck on your journey.

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

tsbmiller3
on 5/18/16 11:41 pm - Ramona, CA

I had the same thing happen to me and I am irked about it. rny in 2006, then revision in 2015 and never lost a pound, even on the liquid diet. from 2013 to now 2016 I have put on 130lbs. I weigh more than I did when I had the original surgery. I to feel like it was all for nothing. if the surgeons know this they should not be doing the revision. I feel as if my surgeon should offer to redo it to the DS or sleeve or even the lap band. I am now going to see a dr. that has done many revisions from the rny to the DS. I am scared but hopeful for the first time. 

good luck. would love to hear back on what is or is not working for you or if you are seeking another revision.

Tami

Most Active
Recent Topics