DS completion approved! but questions remain.

throughthickandthin
on 6/5/16 12:45 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL

A little background...I had RNY in 2001 and dropped from 417 to 195! Unfortunately like many others by 2010, the stoma stretched and dumping syndrome was out of control along with weight regain to 270 and the silastic ring (fobi pouch RNY eroding into the pouch).

So, in 2010 I was approved to have revision to DS with Dr. Gagner in Montreal. Surgery went well but only the first stage could be completed and I was left with a VSG. The restriction gave me some early weight loss of about 50 lbs. I was not able to go back to complete the DS as we lost our insurance coverage. With no malabsorption I began to put weight back on and I am now at 295 with the return of sleep apnea, diabetes, High blood pressure etc. Also, along the way I had an anal fissure from constipation and had to have a lateral internal sphincterotomy which has left me with slightly diminished sphincter control. I also have daily bloating from small intestine bacterial overgrowth from a blind loop left during the revision along with moderate IBS.

So, I now have a great surgeon who is experienced in all WLS procedures and an advocate of DS and my insurance has approved the completion of the DS. In light of all of the above he has suggested that the bowel issues of the DS maybe too much and leave me in a bad situation, so he has suggested that we consider the SIPSS procedure (loop DS leaving 3m) if insurance will cover it or go back to the RNY. So, can those of you with the DS please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/6/16 3:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You've endured a lot of surgeries, and a lot of pain. I hope you find a way to lead a more normal life. But no surgery is going to solve your weight issues. The dumping and the regain are all a result of eating too much, and especially eating too many carbs. Even with a DS, RNY, or some hybrid of those surgeries, you will still be able to eat enough of those things to continue gaining weight. And you will have horrible, horrible bathroom issues. You would be much better off finding a non surgical way to adress the food issues before going into another surgery.

Best of luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics