Can you lose weight after having a revision surgery to the RNY??? Considering Stomaphyx or...

rows4u
on 6/10/16 7:12 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

Long story short, I had RNY bypass in March of 2013. I lost 113lbs and got 10lbs from goal weight, had a tummy tuck and worked out all the time. Since then, I've gained back 40lbs (210lb) and feel like I have stretched my stomach back out. I feel hungry several times through the day. I stay around 1200 calories and still work out but not nearly as much as I was. 

I'm wondering if having a revision surgery to the RNY will help me get back on track and lose the excess weight. I've heard mixed things about being able to lose weight after a RNY revision surgery being 3years out since I no longer malabsorb. Thoughts???

hollykim
on 6/11/16 6:04 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 11, 2016 at 2:12 AM Pacific Time, rows4u wrote:

Long story short, I had RNY bypass in March of 2013. I lost 113lbs and got 10lbs from goal weight, had a tummy tuck and worked out all the time. Since then, I've gained back 40lbs (210lb) and feel like I have stretched my stomach back out. I feel hungry several times through the day. I stay around 1200 calories and still work out but not nearly as much as I was. 

I'm wondering if having a revision surgery to the RNY will help me get back on track and lose the excess weight. I've heard mixed things about being able to lose weight after a RNY revision surgery being 3years out since I no longer malabsorb. Thoughts???

ppl *****vise can lose weight but it won't be as quick as a virgin procedure. 

Met haven't heard very much good about the Rose or Stomyphx. Ppl seem to lose a few pounds and that is all

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 2:33 pm
On June 11, 2016 at 2:12 AM Pacific Time, rows4u wrote:

Well, first of all insurance is very unlikely to pay for a revision when you need to lose 40#.  So I'm merely guessing you will be self pay for this.

StomaPhyx is a total waste of money.  The plastic clips used to tighten the stoma work very well while you are on liquids post op.  Typically people lose about 20# on the post op diet.  As soon as  you start on solid foods the ciips break and you are back to where you started less about $10K of your own money.  The manufacturer of Stomaphyix and ROSE suggest repeating the procedure x3 before calling it quits.  That's $30K.  Really? Are they serious?

ROSE is the same as stomaphyx but it is for your pouch instead of your stoma.  It doesn't work either.

We don't have major surgery to get back on track.  YOU do that, not major surgery.  Major surgery is to fix a mechanical problem.

What does your stoma measure today?

You don't malabsorb any calories at this point.  You are absorbing pretty much just as you did pre op, RNY is only supposed to work for about 18 months.  Then you are left with restriction alone just like a sleeve.  Now you are back to diet and exercise but in all reality, we really are talking about 40#.  That's not the end of the world.

Are you eating any white carbs at all?  Flour, sugar, rice, pasta, or potatoes?

acbbrown
on 6/13/16 10:41 am - Granada Hills, CA

Another surgery is not the answer. Your RNY did its job in helping you lose the weight. It was up to you to maintain it. WLS has its limits in what it can and can't do. I personally went through a 90 lb regains and I'd be lying if I didn't have days where i wanted a revision but ultimately I knew why I was gaining and knew there was nothing any surgery would be able to do to stop it. And I'm always on the paranoid side but I only get one stomach and I know each surgery brings with it risks and potential for complications/scar tissue/etc. 

I joined Overeaters anonymous and lost 60 lbs without any real dieting. It has helped deal with the underlying causes and conditions of the weight gain which has set me up for future success. Just sharing my experience for an aternative. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

A. B.
on 7/22/16 7:19 pm
if you are hungry all the time, you might want to see if you have a fistula first. i have recently had a revison of my rny to rny due to enlarged stoma. it was causing major digestive issues for me. my insurance did not approve the stomaphyx procedure.

TRYING IS HONORABLE FAILURE

Most Active
Recent Topics