Should I revise to VSG or RNY?

sylviaarcher
on 6/20/16 6:53 am - Spruce Pine, NC
Revision on 07/18/16

Hi everyone,

I was banded in 2008 and lost about 25# which I have recently regained. I currently weigh 245 and want to weigh 180. The band has not given me any trouble other than getting food stuck frequently but, obviously, it hasn't helped me loose the weight either. I am scheduled for a revision to RNY but my family really worries about the nutriton/ health aspects and none of them want me to have it. I am thinking perhaps I should get the sleeve instead. I am 58, an emotional eater, and have mild sleep apnea but no other issues. Thanks for your help!

Janet222
on 6/20/16 5:01 pm

For me personally, the sleeve was a bad idea. I'm doing a revision to rny in August due to severe gerd.....I lost most of the weight I wanted to but have paid a big price for it. My sister did rny 10 years ago and has been VERY successful. You will need to take your vitamins and eat nutritionally good foods. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

sylviaarcher
on 6/21/16 4:16 am, edited 6/20/16 9:17 pm - Spruce Pine, NC
Revision on 07/18/16

Thank you Janet! I am good at eating healthy and have no problems with a vitamin regimen so I should do well. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Phatchick
on 6/25/16 5:23 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
On June 21, 2016 at 12:01 AM Pacific Time, Janet222 wrote:

For me personally, the sleeve was a bad idea. I'm doing a revision to rny in August due to severe gerd.....I lost most of the weight I wanted to but have paid a big price for it. My sister did rny 10 years ago and has been VERY successful. You will need to take your vitamins and eat nutritionally good foods. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

Ditto. I love my sleeve but the GERD/reflux is unbearable. Good luck.Hugs!

sylviaarcher
on 6/28/16 6:52 pm - Spruce Pine, NC
Revision on 07/18/16

Thank you! I hope you get relief soon!

sylviaarcher
on 7/7/16 10:56 am - Spruce Pine, NC
Revision on 07/18/16

Thank you!

Hilarious
on 7/1/16 12:33 pm - Coram, NY

If you have reflux, don't get the sleeve. I revised to RNY and I feel so much better vs. the band. I don't get sick and nothing gets stuck. I really can eat anything I want, even steak (I pretended I didn't like steak because I could never get it through the band).

i am doing well with the weight loss at 8 months post-op and feel great. As another mentioned, I take multi vitamins with iron twice a day and a calcium supplement twice a day. I look - hair, skin, etc. and feel healthy!

Good luck to you on whatever decision you make.

Hilari

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

sylviaarcher
on 7/7/16 10:58 am - Spruce Pine, NC
Revision on 07/18/16

This is great to hear!! Thank you Hilari!!

KarenRW
on 7/2/16 12:32 pm - Stockton, CA

I know you may not like the DS (duodenal switch), but really look into it. It has the best outcome and you can eat more and still lose weight. I eat about 120 grams of protein a day, some eat 150 grams a day, lots of fat (real fat) is good for you as we DSers malabsorb fat. Of course, low on the carbs. Some eat under 30 carbs a day, but in my research I found that going very low carb is not good healthwise., that is what can give one thyroid issues. I do have thyroid issues now (low thyroid) and eating low carb can significantly impact your thyroid.  I eat around 75 grams of carbs daily, sometimes more, but I am 7 years out. Go on this site to the DS board and read what others say. Check out Bariatricfats.org too. A lot of vets on here or on Bariatric fats can help you. It is a decision  you won't regret. DO NOT under any cir****tances get the RNY. I had the RNY first in '05, gained back 70 of the 90 I lost, and had revision to the DS in '09 by Dr. Ara Keshishian  in Glendale, CA. He is one of the very best in doing the DS. Dr. Rabkin is good too, also in California. I don't know where you live, but you must find a surgeon truly vetted in doing the DS and at least 1000 DS surgeries would be great.You can ask questions to me or to the groups. And good luck!!!

Karen

[email protected]  if you want to email me.

All the best to all of you.

Karen     

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/3/16 1:50 pm

Ooops, I think you meant "bariatriacfacts.org", not "fats".

Yep, a lot of vets there, as well as more people that already had RNY and revised to DS. 

Most Active
Recent Topics