VSG to ????

RondaR12
on 7/18/16 3:17 pm

Hi everyone! It's been such a long time since I was on here.  I had my VSG in 2008.  I initially lost 107 pounds but have sadly put on about 100 of it back starting from 2010.  In that time I had gotten married, my husband re enlisted into the military, we moved from FL to KS, where I had some major health issues (where the bulk of the gain came from) and now we are in Germany, but I recently lost my mother to Lung Cancer.  

Anyways, excuses.  I didn't do everything I should have.

So here I am looking to have a possible revision (I am thinking re sleeve to a DS...because I'd like to add the absorption tool), but I don't know if anyone has  any advice or any experience on working with Tricare as the insurance and if they would cover a revision.

I am open to hearing anything.  I paid out of pocket for my VSG because it wasn't covered by insurances  much then, so I was hoping to maybe not have to do it this time.

Thanks yall!

Ronda

Ronda RT

Laura in Texas
on 7/18/16 7:50 pm

I also think the DS is your best bet. Do you plan to have the surgery in Germany or are you coming back to the states soon?

I think you need to call your insurance to see if they cover revisions or the surgeons have insurance people who can check for you.

Check your insurance to see which bariatric surgeons are covered, then see which ones do the DS. VSG to DS should be a pretty standard procedure for surgeons who perform the DS. Make sure they actually do the DS. There have been too many bait and switch stories. You should not need someone who necessarily specializes in revisions because that is mainly for RNY to DS revisions.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

RondaR12
on 7/19/16 1:38 pm

Thanks Laura.  I will probably have it in Germany, however, I am willing to fly back home if my best option is to have my original surgeon do the revision.  I have Tricare and right now they say unless it's medically necessary they do not cover revisions.  I have significant back issues and have developed pretty bad reflux and ulcer issues since my surgery so I am hoping with that being detailed that maybe they will consider it necessary. My primary doctor seems like she will fight for it for me. I am willing to pay out of pocket if need be, but I did that for my VSG so, I'd hope I won't have to.

More than that, I am really just disappointed I am in this situation.  I was only 40 pounds from goal so it's irritatino but in the mean time I am trying to work on my habits regardless. I cannot fail again.

R

Ronda RT

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/21/16 12:09 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Be very careful when it comes to revisions. You stated earlier that you gained the weight back due to being non compliant & its probably why the ins people are giving you a hard time. You also stated having bad Gerd, ins might cover a revision to rny to get rid of the gerd problem, but going to a DS won't get rid of that problem. 

You also have to really be on top of your vitamins with the rny & the ds so make sure you deal with any "food demons" you might have to make your revision a successful & long lasting one. 

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

RondaR12
on 7/26/16 10:24 pm

Thanks!  I know that I still have alot of work to do regardless.  The surgery is just a tool. I am working on getting my mind right.  I've been going to Behavioral Health and working on my diet...meal planning and whatnot because whether or not I have a revision, things need to change.

I missed these forums.  I forgot how supportive and encouraging they were.

Ronda RT

emelar
on 7/29/16 9:23 am - TX

If you have developed GERD, you may want the RNY.  The sleeved stomach (which you have with both the VSG and DS) can cause or worsen GERD.  The RNY usually alleviates it.  GERD is nothing to play with.

Mai23
on 7/28/16 10:48 pm

I know (from living there) that duodenal switch is frequently performed on none-obese patients in Europe as a method of diabetes control. Perhaps if you had another reason for conversions to the DS aside from regained weight it would help make a better case for your insurance.

i have a sleeve as well, and because I have reflux an RNY is being suggested. I'm sorry, but I just don't want it. I think 5 years out, sleeve and RNYer's have the same results. If you have reflux, an RNY may be your own option but I think along the same lines you do and would prefer the DS. It has the best success long term. 

Also things happen in our lives. We all react differently to them. Some people would say that you're using your situation as an excuse for weight gain, but from where I'm standing, there's always a lot of blame to go around but not enough understanding. Give yourself a break. It sucks that this happened but you can move forward now. I wish you the best. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/16 9:20 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

I did the regain of some reloss of some and bounce a bit. We all have a lot of factors in our lives and I like you didn't always do the right thing. I definitely like bouncing in the lower 200's than in the low to mid 400's like before though. I've got a fight going with that stubborn 25# which I can lose and have lost some so far. Just getting back to the basics.

I had the RNY so can't give advice on any other from experience. I would definitely have a revision of some sort if I were you. I would also  address the bad decision making to see where it stems from. This will not only lighten you up on the scales but will also light the load on your heart which is where a lot of this came from for mos of us. We all have our issues. 

Very best of luck on this previously unplanned but positive leg of your journey through life. Stay positive and looking ahead to the prize.

Rich  

Valerie G.
on 8/2/16 9:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Last I heard, Tricare wasn't covering DS yet (but it's been a few years since I've heard).  Don't despair, though.  There are surgeons in the military that actually do it at their base hospital.  It's worth looking into.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics