Potential Complications 3+ years post op. Any assistance appreciated!!

D. Scott
on 8/12/16 5:27 pm
RNY with

Where to begin? So I had Lapband in 2009 but had to revise to VSG in 2012 due to mild complications. I wasnt overly successful with my sleeve as I had severe acid reflux from the very beginning and never lost my hunger. I also only lost 50lbs total for the first year with a lot of hard work and began regaining right after the 1 year mark. I am almost 4 years post op, have regained almost all of my weight and am having some health concerns that may be connected to my sleeve. I had to have my gallbladder removed in February. Now I am having severe pain in my abdomen. After going to urgent care it was discovered I have three Hernias but the doctor also suspects Gastric Outflow Obstruction. I havent yet met with the doctors I am being referred to, to discuss the location of these hernias (one is hiatial, one is inaugural, unsure about the third) and how they impact my stomach sleeve. I would prefer to not see the general surgeon they are sending me to and would like to go back to mine or another bariatric surgeon to troubleshoot the issues but Im not even sure how to request that referral instead. So my questions for anyone with experience in any of the above issues are:

1. Do you know anything about Gastric Outflow Obstruction (connection to the pyloric valve) in regards to post bariatric surgery? Could this be a leak? I cant find anything that discusses this as a complication of VSG so I am completely in the dark as to whether this has any connection to my surgery esp so many years post op?
  2. Any thoughts or experience relating to hernia repair post VSG or bariatric surgery?
  3. Any advice on how I can request a bariatric surgeon over a general surgeon?
  4. Has anyone been able to revise to RNY or DS under a 40 BMI with complications of this nature or is this not grounds to discuss VSG failure? I do believe there has been something not completely correct since the very beginning but I never had anything substantial to investigate until now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Anne O.
on 8/21/16 7:26 am, edited 8/21/16 12:27 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Hi. I don't know much about any of this stuff, I just wanted to comment because I haven't seen anyone comment on this post so far and I'm interested to see any answers. I know there have been a few people on OH who have revised to RNY from VSG under 40 BMI, usually because of uncontrollable reflux. 

I had a hiatal hernia repair post lapband in 2011. As of my last surgery, the repair was still holding and no hiatal hernia was found. I don't know anything about the other kinds of hernias. 

I had an endoscopy last week and the GI said that I had some delayed gastric emptying and that was not uncommon after recent stomach surgery (mine was on 6/30/2016) and that he hoped that it would get better and that it could contribute to my reflux. 

I also have reflux and so far it is being controlled (for the most part) but I have no idea if reflux will continue to be a problem for me or if I will ever be able to get off of PPIs.  I can see revision to bypass as a possible future for me, so I'm interested in hearing any answers to your post. 

D. Scott
on 8/21/16 8:41 am
RNY with

Thanks for chiming in Anne. I am also currently waiting to see the gastrologist as my doctor suspects delayed gastric emptying and it seems to relate to the pyloric valve. I wont see the gastrologist until the end of September but I am hoping to know more then. Best of Luck to you!

Anne O.
on 8/21/16 9:30 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Thanks! You too! I'll keep in touch. 

Mama477
on 10/10/16 12:15 pm
I have been going through something similar since May. When I eat food does not go down in to my stomach. I've had EGD/Upper GI and a Barium Swallow Study. The GI found that I have large sliding hiatal hernia.

If I eat soft foods I am fine so I have been drinking Premier Protein and eating what I can. I end up so sick that most often I can vomit and get it all out... sometimes not all. Then I am totally exhausted.

I meet with my bariatric surgeon next week to discuss options. I had a VSG back in 2011. Have gained... wonder if I caused this issue due to extra weight / pressure? I wonder if there will be enough stomach to wrap around and fix the hernia or if revision to RNY /DS will be the only option.

I have been on Omeprazole 20 mg 1x/day since 2011. I don't really have a lot of heart burn.. more than normal though. Lately I feel like I need to belch but I can't.

I'll keep you updated. Let me know how you guys are doing, too.
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

D. Scott
on 10/10/16 8:05 pm
RNY with

Please do keep me updated. I would be very interested to hear what your bariatric surgeon says. Thank You!

Most Active
Recent Topics