Revision because of ulcer.

Cryinsall
on 8/31/16 7:21 pm

Hi, I had my gastric bypass done in 2005 and I have been fighting with an ulcer for 3 years. The doctor is now going to do a revision on my by pass. Has anyone had this done before? 

Stacey S.
on 8/31/16 9:36 pm - Surprise, AZ

Hi,

I had RNY in November 2003and did great until about 6yrs ago. I started gaining and although I knew my choices weren't the best I knew I was not eating anywhere near what I did before I had my surgery. In November 2010 I was visiting relatives out of state and as we were getting ready to make our 4hr drive I started feeling really bad. After driving for about a half hour my husband insisted we stop at a small hospital and see what was going on. They did some tests and couldn't find anything. As I was getting dresses I collapsed. They took me by ambulance to a bigger hospital about 30 minutes away and I was rushed into surgery. My poor husband followed the ambulance not knowing what was happening and was told to wait in the waiting room as they took me into surgery. After almost 6hrs the doctor came out and told him they were able to save me...We ended up staying at that hospital 2 1/2 weeks and the doctor told my husband if we had tried to drive the rest of the way home I would have died in the car. I had a perforated ulcer at my pouch area. Fast forward from then to now and my weight gain was approx. 10lbs a year. We moved from Missouri to Arizona and after being here almost 3yrs I contacted the surgeon who did my original RNY to see if he knew of a doctor in Arizona that I might make an apt with to see what was going on. In February of this year I went to see her and after many tests found out I had a HUGE hiatal hernia that was causing problems with my diaphragm and pushing everything up to my esophagus hence my throwing up occasionally. She contacted my insurance and they kept denying the surgery until August 22, 2016 which is when I went in for her to repair my hiatal hernia, remove my gallbladder and repair the damage that the hernia caused to my pouch. She repaired the hernia, couldn't find my gallbladder due to the hernia pushing all of my organs into all different places and ended up doing a whole revision on my previous pouch. I had surgery laparoscopically on August 22 and got out of the hospital around 7pm on August 23. I gained 13 pounds from the time I was admitted to the time I left due to the air and fluids they pumped in me. I had 6 incisions in my stomach and they are healing great. It was slow at first but I am doing pretty good now and was never in any pain and did not take any pain medicine. I have lost the 13lbs plus an additional 8 in the past 8 days. My doctor wants to wait a couple of months to allow my organs to settle back in their normal place and then she will do some tests to see about removing my gallbladder. It's been a crazy journey...As long as your doctor is well qualified I'm sure you will be fine!! I made sure I asked my doctor how many surgeries she has done like this...I wish you the best!!!

Jennajaxson
on 4/15/18 2:33 pm

Who was your Dr.? I'm also in Arizona! Need a bariatric Dr. Tom listen to me, I have been dealing with ulcer for 15 years and at the point of perforation now. Please help, I can't eat or hold anything down.

Ajadzioba
on 7/11/18 12:21 am

I have had a very similar experience. I am inquiring about who the doctor was in Arizona who was able to fix you. I am in Yuma and we do not have anyone that specializes in bariatric, so I will need to go to Phoenix from what I have been told. Any info would be awesome!

Charmedsage
on 9/3/16 6:42 am

I had my bypass done 7 years ago and need to have a revision done too because of an ulcer and my pouch reattaching to the old stomach (I forgot the technical term). I have been in a lot of pain due to the peptic ulcers and I am just awaiting insurance approval. The Dr said it was a more complicated surgery then the original surgery so I am nervous and curios to hear about other peoples experiences.

mcjohnson2014
on 10/28/16 8:14 pm

Following this post as I am having similar issues.  RNY was done in 2007, but in June of this year I was hospitalized for a week due to a perforated ulcer and their having to repair it.  The ulcer caused my pouch to detach from my intestines where it had originally been attached.  Still having issues with nausea and pain.  Doctors believe my issue stems from a retained antrium which essentially means that the original surgeon didn't remove enough of my tummy during RNY and the extra that he left aside a part of my pouch is producing more acid than my pouch can hold, thus ulcers and pain.  Surgery would require them removing the extra portion of the pouch and reattach it further down on my intestines.  They say they can't reattach it to its current location as they have found in previous revisions that the portion of stomach that is currently attached to the intestines is so damaged they don't have a choice but to atthelp it to good intestine.  Def need to look at all my options and decide what is going to be the best option for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics