byoass or sleeve revision?

DenaCB
on 9/8/16 2:41 pm

opinions needed.  Can't decide between a sleeve or bypass revision.  Initial lapband surgery in 2008.  Repair surgery in 2011.  Regained plus.  Repair didn't work.  Surgeon had given me the choice.  I was pro sleeve until several months ago, and now leaning toward bypass.  Please tell me your story

fayster
on 9/9/16 11:35 am

I went to my initial consultation all set for the sleeve. But with my history of reflux they said the Bypass was better. So that's what I did...lap band to bypass on Aug 29. If you don't have reflux issues, then you're back to square one. I do feel like there's more known about the bypass and it is considered the 'gold standard' whatever that means. 

DenaCB
on 9/9/16 12:13 pm

How was your recovery?  I'm a public school teacher and am concerned about how long I should be out.

fayster
on 9/9/16 2:30 pm

It was really hard the first week. Where they removed my port was VERY sore/painful. I went back to work after a week, but a) just for half days and 2) I sit at a computer.. So I would definitely take 2 weeks as a teacher if not more if you can.

Hilarious
on 9/9/16 8:18 pm - Coram, NY

I had the same issue with the sleeve and my reflux problems - not an option. I had revision surgery from lap band to RNY on 10/29/15. I'm so glad I did this as I feel so much better without the band and I really thought I loved the band. I can eat anything and feel great.

I had lost 100 pounds with the lap band and wound up maintaining an 80 pound loss from March 2007 until my revision surgery last year. Since then I've lost 80 pounds and broke into the hundreds finally, a place I really don't ever recall being. I enjoy eating and get full fast ans remain full for a long time. That's been amazing to me!

With regards to recovery, I took off for a week after surgery and worked one week from home, and then returned to an office desk job. I think as a teacher you'll need two weeks off, and you will be tired the next few weeks as well, but you will feel great after that.

Best of luck to you and whichever you decide!

Hilari

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

Mai23
on 9/19/16 2:54 pm

I have the sleeve. I am having trouble with reflux which is why I'm on this board. That said. I will not have the RNY, there has been a lot of suffering and a lot of people claiming that the only way to cure the reflux is to get an RNY. I finally found a surgeon who is willing to attempt a type of nissen fundiplication with the sleeve. He encourages me to get the DS portion done as well but I'm still thinking about that. I know that if I can gain weight on the sleeve then I will have no problem doing so on the RNY. 

There are a fair number of people who gain weight back post RNY, and RNY to DS is no fun. 

Anyways if you do get the sleeve, try and find a surgeon who performs a nissen at the same time. It's a new procedure but it pretty much insures you won't be getting the epic heartburn that often comes along with the sleeve.

DBunnylady
on 10/7/16 2:34 pm - Marion, AR

I had VSG about 10 yr ago. Now I'm trying to weigh my options VSG revision vs Gastric Bypass. I do have severe acid reflux. I have regained weight and now am up to 30.11 BMI with recurrence of my obesity related comorbidities: hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and diabetes. I'm just looking for insight. Anyone have anything to offer?

Thanks,

D

Most Active
Recent Topics