VSG to RNY

JosMcFadden
on 9/20/16 11:10 am - Oshawa, Canada

I was just wondering if there is anyone on here that had a revision from VSG to RNY? Their experiences? How much they lost with both surgeries? How long did you wait?

A little about me.. July 20th, 2015 I had VSG, weighing 479 lbs I am over a year out now, and had my one year follow-up with my hospital, they since gave me a date to meet the surgeon to discuss a revision to RNY which is Oct 14, I am so excited!!! I have lost 156 lbs and so many inches that I have stopped counting. I have heard from the team at TWH that they will likely perform the RNY 1.5 - 2 years from having the VSG to give me the chance to lose as much as I can.

Any feedback is welcome!!! If you don't feel like commenting your story, send me a message :)  

Mai23
on 9/20/16 3:29 pm, edited 9/20/16 8:59 am

Have you considered the duodenal switch?

Its much more malabsorbitive than the RNY but has a much higher long term success rate. 

Also the surgery is much easier then sleeve to RNY, DS is a two part surgery, and you already had the first part. 

At least talk to surgeon who does DS and maybe scope out the DS Forum on this and other sites. 

If I revise to DS, I will be traveling to do so. All the way across the country. I consider it worth it though, to see someone who specializes in it. Also my insurance will cover it. 

cindyj578
on 9/20/16 4:57 pm - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

I had the revision from the VSG to the RNY.......I was so much happier with the VSG.  I can eat way more than I was ever able to eat with the VSG.  I am hungry all the time with the RNY, but was never hungry with the VSG.  I gained weight with the VSG because of the acid reflux.  Would eat constantly to alleviate the pain.  I lost a little bit of weight with the RNY, but not much.  Hope this helps.  

nedsmehlp
on 9/24/16 3:04 pm - Hutchinson, KS

I agree, check out the DS.  You already have half of the DS, so it only makes sense to follow with the rest of the DS.  It has a better success rate.  Dr's that don't do the DS will try to talk you into the RNY.  Please ask the DSer's a lot of questions.  I have seen people go from the RNY to the DS.  I lost 185lbs with the VSG and gained back 110.  I am in the process of trying to get the DS.  You only get one more shot at this, so please check out your best options. 

hipswishingvinegarball
on 9/24/16 11:10 pm

I'll be blunt. At 479lbs, you NEED the DS. You have a RNY surgeon, so will be sold what they do. They don't send away a paying customer, especially when they are paid tens of thousands of dollars per surgery.

On top of that, you already have the first half of the DS, so easier surgery to complete the DS. Once you have that mangled into RNY with a stoma (the root of most RNY problems from dumping to reactive hypoglycemia to regain) there may be no revising back to the more effective DS, and even if you can, that is a BIG surgery to take down the bypass and then revising (which I suspect would no long be an option for you anyway if you had a sleeve, then cut back into a pouch, I doubt you'd have enough stomach tissue left to fix it). The DS has the best short and long term stats for weight loss and maintenance, especially for those with a BMI over 50. 

I already feel you were sold a surgery that was wrong for such a high BMI as yours, and you will only mess up any metabolic issues even more if you keep dingling around with lesser surgeries. Find a real DS surgeon, and get what's best for you, not what's easiest for them. 

L. 68
on 9/28/16 1:51 pm

Hi Jos,

First Congratulations on you 156 lb weightloss in a little over a year.  thats AWESOME, but im confused or curious as to why are you looking into a revision.  DID you stop losing weight?  Is there a problem Ex: reflux, gerd, hernia's ect.. if your losing weight (and you obviously are) why are you thinking of revision and why would your doctor just automatically do a revision if everything is going great with with your Sleeve.  

I stand by IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT ...

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

E_Saenz
on 10/8/16 8:47 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I haven't been told yet but I am 99.9 % sure that my surgeon is going to revise my sleeve to Rny.  We had descussed beforehand what if vsg didn't work for me and he told me we would revise.  I am one year and 2 months post op from my sleeve but due to severe reflux I have only lost 69 pounds I wanted to be at my goal of 100 pouns lost two months ago and the scale hasn't moved in months I went for studies and my upper GI indicated a severe case of acid reflux I am taking double the amount of Omeprezole and i still have not gotten any relief.  I see my surgeon on Thursday afternoon to descuss what we are going to do to fix this problem.  I will keep you posted. 

Elia Maria Saenz

borntobethin35
on 11/10/16 8:22 pm - VA
On October 8, 2016 at 3:47 PM Pacific Time, E_Saenz wrote:

I haven't been told yet but I am 99.9 % sure that my surgeon is going to revise my sleeve to Rny.  We had descussed beforehand what if vsg didn't work for me and he told me we would revise.  I am one year and 2 months post op from my sleeve but due to severe reflux I have only lost 69 pounds I wanted to be at my goal of 100 pouns lost two months ago and the scale hasn't moved in months I went for studies and my upper GI indicated a severe case of acid reflux I am taking double the amount of Omeprezole and i still have not gotten any relief.  I see my surgeon on Thursday afternoon to descuss what we are going to do to fix this problem.  I will keep you posted. 

What did the doctor decide, is he going to do DS or RNY? I'm considering doing the revision from VSG to RNY because I have GERD plus I've gained 40 of 80 pounds I lost since I've had VSG surgery back February 2011. 

E_Saenz
on 11/11/16 12:10 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Rny but I am waiting for insurance approval right now. 

Elia Maria Saenz

borntobethin35
on 11/11/16 6:05 pm - VA

I'm so scared to do RNY from the VSG are you not nervous about this? If not, please share your calming mechanism because I'm freaking out! 

Most Active
Recent Topics