Lap band to Vertical Sleeve

carolee_gentry
on 10/6/16 11:05 am

Has anyone on here had the lapband and then the gastric sleeve? I was  banded in September of 2009,  8 years ago, my HW was 264 Lowest weight was 179 and now I've gained back to 206. I have been too tight, had to have fluid removed, then too loose, then too tight again and it became a vicious cycle. Now I suffer from esophageal dilation and can't have any more fluid added to my band because of this. I have the band that holds 10 cc's. Currently I have 6.2 cc of fluid in my band. I am fine during the day, but at night, I get up at least three times choking on saliva and have to make myself throw up, which is nothing but clear hot acid like saliva (Gross I know). My surgeon suggested I make the move to the vertical sleeve. I've always said I would never do this, because it was not reversible, but I know I'm doing my body harm by not resting at night and plus my esophagus has to be suffering as well. I would like to know how long the recovery process is, how long before you could go back to work ( I have an office job), how much pain you were in and also, how long was it before you could eat solid foods. Also did the sleeve fix the constant backflow of saliva when sleeping?  Thanks in advance for your help.

airbender
on 10/6/16 3:56 pm

there are many lap band to vsg on here as I am (I am a DS).  Surgery was easy for me. it was lap, oh yes that dammm saliva choking, foaming, with the band, yuck that will be gone, you will have a much better quality of life.   One thing with the band you are accustomed to being tight (most likely) some patients cant get "restriction" with the vsg, talk to your surgeon about that.  if it is lap you should be able to go back to work in a few weeks....if you have no issues....good luck

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Sofashwk
on 10/6/16 6:53 pm
VBG on 10/03/16

I was revised from lap band to sleeve this past Monday. My surgery was done in one procedure. I was discharged from the hospital on Wed and could not stay at work a full day today. I was too sore and uncomfortable to sit up for 8 hours. My energy level is also very low. I would say you need at maximum 1 week out of work to recover. I am onclear liquids for 2 weeks. I am doing my absolute best to get my fluids down to prevent dehydration. 

I would say you should move ahead with the sleeve so you can get your life back. You will feel so different once the band is out.

ladygodiva1228
on 10/7/16 3:59 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Make sure you understand that there may be damage done by the band that would prevent your surgeon from performing the sleeve.  If you are having issues with your esophagus now I personally would not recommend the sleeve. 

Some band to sleeve patients have ended up having to revise to the bypass due to extreme GERD. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Laura in Texas
on 10/8/16 5:14 am

If you are having trouble with acid reflux, please research RNY, also. In the meantime, put bed risers on the headboard side of your bed to try to prevent the acid from rising up to your esophagus while you sleep. The acid can lead to esophageal cancer if not taken care of.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

S.dgriffin
on 10/13/16 8:27 am
RNY on 10/26/16

I have had sever acid Regis for 15 Years. I take prescription medicine and have had endoscopy to stretch my esophagus a few times. I have gaied wait because everything bad, i.e. Ice cream, soothes the refu. I now weigh 240. I am 61 years old and feel awful. I am5'8" tall. Normalwight seven years ago was 155. I was recommended bypass surgery. It is scheduled for 10/26. I am scared to death. We are very social people and go to dinner with friends often. I also like a glass of wine with dinner. I need feedback. I am frighten of esophageal cancer. However, can I live happily with gastric by pass.

Sofashwk
on 10/12/16 3:17 pm
VBG on 10/03/16

Your story sounds quite similar to mine. I was banded in 09' slipped in 2011 and revised to a new band. I was having the same issues at night with a slipped band and it was very difficult to live that way. My band was finally revised to a sleeve on 10/3 and with this surgery you are on each phase for 2 weeks. I recommend being out of work 1 week. I am still on the liquid phase with no backflow of saliva!

Most Active
Recent Topics