Gradually Creeping Weight Gain About Nine Years After RNY - Now what?

amyamybobamy
on 12/27/16 12:18 pm - no, CA

Hello all! I am hoping that the kinder forum folk can help me start thinking about next steps.

I had RNY at BMI of 54 in December 2007. Eventually got to a BMI of 24 and HEALTHY as all get-out. Now I am at BMI of 37 and very unhappy about it. My doctors attribute much of this to medications I take for fibromyalgia (namely lyrica and cymbalta) but I am finding that I am ravenously hungry and the thought of spending the rest of my existence in this bloated state makes me very, very sad.

What are some wise next steps? What sorts of revisions are now available? 

Thank you.

summerset
on 1/2/17 1:20 am

Before thinking about revision I'd give the bypass a checkup. Did you have gastroscopy or pouchography already?

REDD50
on 1/2/17 7:21 am
Revision on 12/27/16

Hello, I'm 6 days out from a RNY to RNY revision. My original surgery was FEB 2010 i lost 115 lbs and never reached goal. In the last year I gained 40 lbs back and my body felt like it was falling apart. I sought a well known surgeon here in Atlanta and he said it was normal for my pouch to stretch over time and that he could help me. i'm down 21 lbs since surgery and my body pains have all stopped. I was told by several people that my only option was a RNY to DS but this surgeon thought that shrinking my pouch an lengthening my limb would reactivate my original RNY and so far so good. I know this can be troubling, and confusing as it was for me, but hopefully my little input helps. Good Luck!

mschandra70126
on 1/2/17 11:45 am - BATON ROUGE, LA

i am almost 10 years post op and i have gradually started gaining over the last 4 years. Did you go to a gastenologist first to determine if you pIuche had stretched? 

23 lbs  pre-op 

as of 5/10/2008
Fightingforit
on 1/8/17 1:35 pm
Fightingforit
on 1/8/17 1:38 pm

I would be so appreciative if you shared what doctor did your revision in Atlanta. Thank you so very much in advance.

mslaurab
on 1/8/17 7:41 pm

Hello!!!

I live in Georgia and I am looking to have a RNY revision. I, also, never reached goal and know my pouch has stretched A LOT. May I ask who your surgeon was and what your experience was like with them? Did this surgery require a lengthy hospitalization?

Thanks for any info :-)

Rachelle Sexton
on 1/25/17 4:59 pm - Westerville, OH

I'm looking into doing a RNY to RNY  revision surgery. My insurance company will cover up to $20,000 as I have Aetna here in Ohio do you know if there are going to be any hoops to jump through or any advice you can give me please? Thanks!

REDD50
on 1/2/17 11:54 am
Revision on 12/27/16

I went to a bariatrics Dr and he did a egd.

Jessica M.
on 1/2/17 5:19 pm - Midlothian, TX

I am 9 1/2 years post-op. Over the past 2 years I have neglected my eating and started skipping meals due to work. However, I have gained 25lbs over the past 2 years, but would like to lose 50lbs. How do you know if your pouch has stretched?

"Winning at a Losing Game"

Most Active
Recent Topics