Has anyone had a RNY revision to the Sleeve or DS ?

K. F
on 1/18/17 8:42 pm

Hi , I had the RNY done in 2005, did pretty well for first 6-8 months . Now , 11 years later , I have regained almost all of my loss. I have recently been to " Adirondack Medical Center"in Saranac Lake,NY, to see about a revision with a Dr. Hill. I guess my options are to go for the sleeve or the DS, as the band is not an option for me.

We are just in the beginning stages of this process so, If anyone has had this done, or a different revision, I would love to hear how things are going.  Thanks

Nura777
on 1/21/17 6:24 am

There's a reason you gained all the weight back. There's no reason you won't gain it again! But now you've dramatically increased your risk factor for serious complications. Please seek out counseling to understand why you gained the weight. Do not rely on your surgeons advice only... he's getting paid to do this and will not live in your body.

K. F
on 1/21/17 8:09 am

Thank you for replying to my post about having a possible revision, I am realizing the two surgeries I mentioned are a risky thing, much more risky then my rny.  I have yet to have any test done such a  scope ,blood work, etc as I am just in the early stages of all this and looking for info from others. I'm trying to get first hand info from real people that have been in this situation  vs, the doctor and their employees.  Are you in this forum because you are seeking a revision, or have had one done in the past ? if so would love to hear your experience on this as I want to make the right decision and all experiences are welcome. 

hipswishingvinegarball
on 1/22/17 12:22 am

Originally they would not have been riskier surgeries, but as a revision, yes. Also, there are few surgeons that actually can / should do the revision where your stomach, which was cut into a pouch for your RNY, will have be be resected and patched back into a stomach that uses your own pyloric valve, then the DS or sleeve surgery started. I'd look at Dr Kesheshian or Dr Rabkin in CA for that revision. 

The DS is the most effective surgery, and is the only one I'd consider revision to, but only if one of the experts were going to do it. The sleeve is a restriction only surgery, and going from a malabsorbtive surgery like RNY to a restriction only surgery like the sleeve would not likely give good results. 

K. F
on 1/22/17 7:00 pm

thank you for the information, if have go thru with this i'm leaning towards the DS, At first I was hoping just to tweak my RNY, as i'd like to not do major surgery such as the DS but i guess this is not an option nor its not very successful.  Atleast so I'm told. , maybe its an insurance thing or a $$ thing. I'll plan to keep looking at my options and at other people experiences,,  thank you for you insight. 

Mandy K.
on 1/27/17 5:31 pm - St. Louis, MO

My stoma is enlarged but not my pouch so I'm going to have the overstitch procedure done to make the stoma opening small again.  This is done by an endoscopy so it is low risk.  No incisions needed.

K. F
on 1/28/17 9:33 pm

did your doctors suggest this to you or you tell them this is what you wanted to do. I would like to learn more about the overstitch procedure , i like that its more of a "tweek" , does it produce good results ? I go to the doctors on the 6th, i will ask them about this procedure, and its success rate for revision, thanks for the info. 

Mandy K.
on 1/29/17 5:34 am - St. Louis, MO

I researched online and went to the only Dr in the St Louis area that does these and said that is what I wanted. I had to have an endoscopy so he could see what was going on and found that my pouch is fine but the stoma isn't.  I'm waiting for insurance approval now. He said the stats are that you will lose 60% of your extra weight but of course if you really put in the effort you can lose all that you want to.  I don't know anyone who has done it only people online.  

K. F
on 1/29/17 7:20 am

Thank you for all your info. I going to ask about this.  :-)  And hope you get your approval.

-Flo-
on 1/29/17 1:15 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I would think twice about Dr. Hill. I was considering using him for my DS but he could not tell me an estimate of how many he has done.  I also asked his surgical coordinator, she did not know either.  That made me hugely uncomfortable.  I ended up going with Dr. greenbaum in new Jersey.  But for rny to DS revisions I would go with the California doctors someone else mentioned.  Oh, also the sleeve would be pointless. You need the malabsorption. 

Most Active
Recent Topics