Lap-Band to RNY or Sleeve??

HondaRN12
on 1/25/17 7:03 pm - MN

Hi Folks, been a while since I posted.  I am originally a band patient as of April 2009.  I did well with it until two years post op had to have part of the band replaced and ever since haven't been able to get into the green zone.  I have had a lot of problem with reflux, but I attribute that to the band being too tight.  My insurance isn't covering a 2nd surgery because of a specific exclusion of second surgeries.  

Anyway, I am looking for advice or guidance on being converted to a sleeve or bypass.  I have succumbed to the fact that I am going to pay for it, and fortunately I have the means to do so.  I am young (36).  I feel like this is my second chance and I don't want to blow it, so I want to make the right decision for myself.

I had my surgery consult appointment today and my surgeon wasn't much help.  He only told me he would do either on me and gave me negative and positives to each.  I am not sure which one I should choose.

Please help!

Valapp
on 1/26/17 7:43 am

I also had my band placed in April 2009. I lost about 60 pounds initially, but was never able to lose more.  I had lots of trouble with my port.  Had to have it replaced once and it would always flip backwards so fills were a nightmare.  In 2014 I started experiencing trouble like acid backing up in my throat at night, food constantly getting stuck, throwing up.  I was miserable all the time.  I finally found a doctor who was experienced in revisions and made an appointment to see him.  He ordered a gastric swallow and determined my band needed to come out.  I initially thought I wanted the sleeve but he explained to me that due to my reflux he would only consider doing RNY.  I followed his advice and on July 27,2015 had the band removed and revised to RNY.  I spent two days in the hospital and came home without needing any pain meds.  Fast forward to yesterday when I had my 18 month checkup.  I am down to my goal weight of 160 from my highest weight of 280 and I have never felt better.  Now my reflux is gone and I am completely off blood pressure meds.  If you have experienced reflux, I would recommend RNY.  Just research both for yourself and go with what feels right for you.  They are both good surgeries.  Good luck!

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

Hilarious
on 1/26/17 7:16 pm - Coram, NY

Hi!

I too had a lapband, mine was placed in 2007. I did well with the band, losing close to 100 pounds but ultimately keeping off 80 pounds until I had to have it removed due to a bandslip. I was waking up by reflux in my throat - very scary. Since I had a lot of reflux because the band was too tight, I was told I couldn't have the sleeve and had to have RNY. I was really scared of all the negative things I had heard but didn't really have a choice - I couldn't gain that weight back.

i had revision surgery at the end of Oct 2015 and was in the hospital one night and home by 4pm the next day. Not a bad recovery at all and I was working from home after a week and back in the office the following week (I have a desk job). I have felt so good since this surgery. I can eat whatever I want without getting stuck or sick. It's so freeing. I like you don't want to screw up my second chance, so I have stopped eating high sugar and high fat foods (I really miss them but I'm so happy with the results).

i have lost 107 pounds since surgery and feel amazing. I can't believe I'm here and I'm so grateful and appreciative of what this surgery has done for me.

I wish you luck in whichever you decide to do. I know you'll feel better without the lapband.

Hilari

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

Grim_Traveller
on 1/27/17 9:45 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The band often causes damage to the stomach, and revision to VSG is ruled out because of it. Some times, they will remove the band in one operation, give the stomach a few months to heal, and then do a sleeve. In pretty much every case, they can remove the band and do RNY in one operation.

Acid issues can continue after VSG. It's a major complication. Acid almost always disappears after RNY.

If it was me, I'd go RNY. I have yet to meet someone that wasn't ecstatic about going from band to bypass.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GmaDiana
on 1/27/17 10:36 am

I was sleeved in 2011.In 2015 developed severe acid reflux.No meds would help.Only option is bypass to aleviate the acid reflux.Had revision Nov.2016.My insurance denied mine first too.Then my Dr did a Peer to Peer to let them know it was the reflux not for weight loss .They approved it.We had documentation of my primary care and a ear ,Nose and Throat.Then I went back to my weight loss Dr and he had an endoscope and upper GI .Recommended the bypass.Glad I did.

Travelher
on 1/27/17 3:32 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

Bypass here as well.  Same reason as the others.  Love it!

conazza
on 1/31/17 3:29 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

I had the band for 10 years and revised to RNY because of reflux. I couldn't possibly be happier with my decision. 

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

annjones
on 2/10/17 6:26 am - Kansas City, KS
RNY on 02/13/17

Banded in 2007, same issues as most of the peps above.  Had band removed and applied to my insurance for revision.  Insurance initially denied (because of their rule of one bariatric surgery per lifetime)  But approved after they got paperwork showing it was revision due to Band failure.

My physician recommended the RNY for me and I was skeptical.  I did a bunch of research and chatted with people and came to the conclusion RNY would be my next step.  My surgery is Monday, Feb. 13th and I'm on that annoying Liquid diet before surgery (I'm kinda grumpy).

We banders have worked hard and tried.  I think our struggles with the band will help us be super successful with Revision.

Best of luck with your choice but whichever it will be way better than the band and I'm sure you will be successful!

Ann Jones
HW-304/SW-295/CW-226/GW-200

RNY Surgery 2/13/2017
12/23/08 Band Date - Removal Date 08/15/16

Renee C.
on 2/11/17 2:09 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Monday is almost here --  Good luck Ann!!  

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics