So sad

Geminidawn
on 3/8/17 5:32 pm

Hi everyone. This is for the revision people in here. I am 13 days out from surgery and I don't feel any different except that I think I eat less. I've only lost 16 lbs and today the scale didn't move. I don't feel any restrictions because the band from my previous VBG is still in place so no different feeling from before. And I don't get this dumping everyone talks about. I was revised from VBG to mini gastric bypass. What have been your experiences? Thank you. Dawn

rocky513
on 3/8/17 8:04 pm - WI

You are not going to feel the same restriction that you felt with your first surgery and you will not lose weight everyday. In fact, you will lose at a much slower rate. It is important that you don't eat until you feel full. You must measure your portion out and then STOP EATING. You can never trust your stomach to tell you when it's full. Our stomachs have been lying to us our whole lives. That's how I became obese...listening to my stomach. I am a food addict. I have to control my portions by measuring ....forever. If I listened to my stomach, I would over eat at every meal.

Dumping is a direct result from eating sugar or starchy food. If you are not eating those kinds of foods, you will not dump. Some people develop some gastric distress after surgery. It's not the same as dumping.

I am revised from VBG to RNY. I follow the WLS rules to the letter. I lost to 15 pounds below goal and have maintained for 6 years. The key is to measure your portions, don't drink with meals, get your protein in and drink at least 64 ounce of fluid daily.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Fightingforit
on 3/9/17 1:49 pm
On March 9, 2017 at 4:04 AM Pacific Time, rocky513 wrote:

You are not going to feel the same restriction that you felt with your first surgery and you will not lose weight everyday. In fact, you will lose at a much slower rate. It is important that you don't eat until you feel full. You must measure your portion out and then STOP EATING. You can never trust your stomach to tell you when it's full. Our stomachs have been lying to us our whole lives. That's how I became obese...listening to my stomach. I am a food addict. I have to control my portions by measuring ....forever. If I listened to my stomach, I would over eat at every meal.

Dumping is a direct result from eating sugar or starchy food. If you are not eating those kinds of foods, you will not dump. Some people develop some gastric distress after surgery. It's not the same as dumping.

I am revised from VBG to RNY. I follow the WLS rules to the letter. I lost to 15 pounds below goal and have maintained for 6 years. The key is to measure your portions, don't drink with meals, get your protein in and drink at least 64 ounce of fluid daily.

Could you give tell me a little about your diet? I revised from rny to rny. This is my second chance, so like you, I intend to follow the rules to a T. One month out, Im 27 down but I have no motivation to eat real food. I'll try the tuna or cottage cheese, then run right back to sugarfree jello. Congrats on your success.

rocky513
on 3/9/17 4:34 pm - WI

Eventually you will need to eat primarily dense protein like chicken turkey, beef, pork,fish,etc. Then non-starchy veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, carrots if you have room. Skip the potatoes, corn, peas,etc. NO SIMPLE CARBS like bread, crackers, pasta, rice, sugar, etc. while you are in weight loss mode. You may be able to add some back when you hit maintenance. I am at goal and still rarely eat these foods. Limit fruit to one very small serving per day (like 3 or 4 strawberries) The body reads fruit as sugar and it will slow or stop your weight loss.

I measure my food...period. I eat 3 ounces of meat and veggies if I have room. I eat 6 small meals (right around 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups in volume) about 3 or 4 hours apart. If I feel "hungry" I ignore it. I figure anyone should be able to wait 3 or 4 hours to eat. I eat by the clock...not by my feelings of hunger.

I drink 120 ounces of fluid daily. The MINIMUM is 64 ounces. Don't drink with meals...ever. This (and eating simple carbs) is the leading cause of regain. When we drink with meals the food is pushed through our pouch and we can physically eat more food. We also get hungry sooner.

I am almost 7 years out from my revision so my diet will not be the same as yours at 1 month out. I don't think you will be able to eat the same volume of food that I can at this stage. Right now you need to concentrate on getting at least 60 grams of protein. SF jello has no protein! Your tastes change. Keep trying things that are high protein. I ate a lot of shrimp early out. It is very high in protein and for some reason it sat well in my pouch. Ricotta bake was a life saver for me too. Take a little ricotta cheese, cover it with a tablespoon of marinara and mozzarella cheese and bake it until it's hot and bubbly.

Good luck!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Fightingforit
on 3/9/17 7:10 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for taking the time out to respond to me. The doctors can hand me a printout of what I need to eat. But I always get the best info from people who once stood in my shoes. So even though you're seven years out, please continue to educate the newbies. I am going to write all your tips in my little weight loss journal. Thanks so much once again.

Geminidawn
on 3/9/17 5:01 pm

Hi...I am still in the liquid stage so I am having jell-o, broth, cottage cheese, milk, protein shakes, popsicles, some fruit in my smoothies. I never feel hungry....ever, but I do still eat.

Fightingforit
on 3/9/17 7:16 pm

Same here. Even though I don't feel hungry, I try to eat something every two to three hours. 16 pounds is awesome! Don't beat yourself up. I did well with my first surgery at age 19. And the weight didn't start to creep bac****il I had my first child at 27. I am determined to succeed. I'll ask a million questions. Follow all the rules. Because I know this is it. Good luck on your journey.

Geminidawn
on 3/9/17 4:54 pm

Hi there....thank you for your reply. I didn't realize how important it is to measure my food and not just rely on my stomach to tell me. The surgeon said I should be able to eat 4-5 ounces once I am healed, which I think is a reasonable amount.

I am working very hard at getting all my water in, it's hard but I keep trying:)

Renee C.
on 3/8/17 8:16 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

16 lbs in 2 weeks is great! You are doing just fine, so no worries. It took me a month to lose that much with my revision (band to bypass).

How much how fast can be very personal anyway, depending on how much you have to lose, how much muscle mass you have, your gender, what kind of food you are eating ( not just the calorie count), and so forth.

My surgeon told me at least 3 times that band patients getting revisions tend to lose more slowly and a bit less overall than if we had never had the band. (I'm hoping that the 2nd part won't be true!)

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Geminidawn
on 3/9/17 4:57 pm

Hi there...thank you for your reply.

I feel better today after reading all the replies. I do eat less and realistically I shouldn't feel the same restriction I felt with the 1st surgery anyway.

I have also heard that the weight loss is slower, maybe that's what threw me into a panic.

Thanks again

Most Active
Recent Topics