New kid on the block.

Gavin B.
on 3/30/17 3:47 pm - Orlando, FL

I had a RNY 10 years ago (open surgery). I weighed 365lbs before the surgery and only lost 80 lbs (my lowest was 285lbs). I really wanted to go to the gym but I got an incisional hernia in my abdomen (which I still have) but I did not get it repaired right away because I did not have enough sick leave to go to through another open surgery. I did some exercise but I went to my old habits of inactivity. I also must admit that I did not eat the way I was supposed to. I eat like a regular person now. I feel like a complete failure. I had so many hopes, wanted to buy new clothes and change my life... well, it did not happen.

I currently weigh 299 lbs (gained 14 pounds). I'm a 26yrs. old male, 5'10". If you do the math, my BMI is 43.

I moved to another state, got another job and now I have another insurance (Federal BCBS). I am seriously considering a revision. I will have my Upper GI tomorrow, I will see my internist on Monday to start my medical supervised diet (3 months per insurance). I will see the surgeon on Tuesday.

I am sharing this because I never valued the importance of a support group. Just went to one the first time because I had to. I just can't believe I'm going through this again.

Just wanted to share with you all. God bless.

1queenbee3
on 4/4/17 7:37 am - Columbia, MD

I can identify with your feelings of failure. I have had to learn to forgive myself. If I had continued to beat myself up, then I would still be gaining weight. I'm currently going back to my doctor and I'm working hard to make better choices. I do not look at all the weight I need to lose, I just focus my attention smaller goals: like getting in enough fluids, protein, etc. Since you have a hernia, I would focus on walking and consult your doctor on other activity you can engage in that will not hurt you further. Good luck with your appointments!

Highest Weight--Surgery Weight--Current Weight--Goal
                                                    282                  231                170.3            135

Most Active
Recent Topics