Reflux issues from VSG and now a Revision???

racemomss
on 4/4/17 9:35 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Has anyone had reflux issues and then get the news a bypass is needed?? I had hysterectomy in Feb this year and they saw some stuff. so a upper GI was done and now a EGD is ordered next week. The surgeon said major reflux issues. I have been living with bad reflux for years now. It has been 4 years since VSG and I have regained some pounds (about 60). so not happy but really don't want the bypass. However the dr says since my esophagus is damaged it would benefit me to do this before it gets really bad... Thoughts anyone? I so feel like a failure right now and not happy with myself.

mi75
on 4/4/17 10:08 am
VSG on 06/01/14

I'm right there with you. Post VSG my reflux cleared up some, but never completely went away. Now I've had about 28 lb regain and i'm dealing with it a lot. I take a PPI so the symptoms are under control, but I'm taking it twice a day right now.

I have a new surgeon (different from the one who did VSG) and he recommends I revise to RNY. I too am reluctant, I feel like if I make a serious effort maybe I can lose the regain and work at losing a little more weight and hopefully the GERD will go away. I am not completely closed to the idea of revision, i'm just fearful of eating issues post op. If it's necessary, it's necessary, but I LOVE red meat and I know so many people who have issues with red meat after RNY. I see doc again in May and we'll see.

racemomss
on 4/4/17 10:42 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

It sounds like you and I have same concerns. I love my red meat too and even seafood. I have heard the stories of those not being able to eat that. I didn't want to have a revision. I see my doctor end of month to follow up. all the things I read online about the reflux issue make me nervous as well.

ShebasMom
on 4/4/17 11:43 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I had the RNY in 2011 due to severe GERD. As I lost weight, the GERD lessened, but did not resolve. I never made it to goal and began regaining weight 2 years post -op. Of course, my GERD worsened. I tried to get a revision to the DS (which now I wished I fought more for) but my insurance company refused to pay. I ended with a distal bypass July 2016 and my weight loss has been very slow (50 lbs), and my GERD has lessened. (My GI MD, who I have been seeing over 20 years, felt that it was the additional weight around my waist that was causing my GERD to worsen and losing weight would help). I hate the babying of the stoma, to protect it from over stretching and would have loved to have my pyloric valve back and get rid of the reminent stomach. With the distal bypass, I have to eat and supplement like the DS.

I really think you should consider the DS (not the SADI, SIPS, Loop DS*), since you already have a sleeve and it will give you permanent malabsorption and help you to lose and keep the weight off. You do have a lifetime commitment to taking your supplements to stay healthy.

* Currently the SADI, SIPS, Loop DS (different names for the same surgery) is in the investigational stages. There is no long term data (> 5years) that this surgery has the success of the DS at weight maintenance. The supplementation is much greater than the RNY and almost equal to the DS. The absorption of fat is higher.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

racemomss
on 4/4/17 1:56 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I was wondering about the DS. I am already having gallbladder issues in the past year. I never thought I would have another bariatric surgery so when I wa**** with it on Monday I was shocked. I had no idea the Gerd was as dangerous as it was. I am trying to look at the positive to no more issues with that. And honestly it would be nice to get back this weight off from my regain... I appreciate all the information you can give.

stacyrg
on 4/5/17 2:23 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised to RNY from VSG due to severe GERD. My understanding is revising to DS won't help you because the DS utilizes a sleeved stomach and a retained pyloric valve. The RNY resolves the GERD because you lose the pyloric valve and you no longer have a high pressure system. Go for the revision to RNY, it's the best option to resolve your acid and the damage it's causing your body.

Gwen M.
on 4/4/17 11:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Esophageal cancer is no joke - go for the RNY to resolve your reflux.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CurvyCakes
on 4/5/17 7:21 am

Hi there,

I am being revised to RNY on April 11th for the exact same reason. I opted for the sleeve because in my opinion at that time it was less invasive. Had I know about the possibility of being revised due to SEVERE GERD I would have just done the bypass out the gate the first time around. Completely not happy about having a second major surgery but I am excited about stopping the burning. The things I ate in an attempt to lessen the reflux packed some pounds on me as well. I also have gone through 6 rounds of high dose steroids/prednisone to shrink reoccurring masses so of course that wrecked havoc as well.

racemomss
on 4/5/17 10:12 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Let me know how it goes for you!! I felt the same way 1st time with the sleeve. I didn't want to mess with nature that much otherwise I would have done the RNY first time around. I really don't like the pounds I have packed back on and the fact I am having to go through the liquid diet of hell soon. GERD is not easy to deal with and I have for 4 years with it getting worse all the time. I hope one day I can lay down without the fear of waking up to getting sick and burning..

stacyrg
on 4/5/17 2:24 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Get the revision. You'll be able to sleep laying down.

Most Active
Recent Topics