Question about recovery time

thegarv
on 5/11/17 9:00 am

I am a teacher and could potentially (depending on insurance approval) have revision surgery from band to gastric bypass on Aug 8, which would give me 4 weeks before I would have to be up in front of my classroom. Those who have had this or only gastric bypass, what was your recovery like? I know everyone is different, but I'm wondering if that would give me enough time to get my strength up. I wouldn't have to be doing a lot of walking as I can teach from a stool if needed. My other option is take 2 weeks off before our winter break (which would give me 4 weeks total) and then a week or two after break.

Thoughts?

Amy

bruindiva92
on 5/11/17 2:08 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I had VSG to RNY revision and took 5 weeks off. The first couple days back at work I was a little tired but by week 2, I was doing well. My only suggestion is to really rest during your time off--don't try to do things around the house that you haven't done. You will tire easily.

Wishing you the best on your journey.

Laura in Texas
on 5/11/17 8:13 pm

Do it ASAP. I went back to teaching 2 weeks after my RNY. I was exhausted and napped as soon as I got home, but I was thankful to get it done sooner than later.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ShoreToLose
on 5/13/17 1:24 pm - Brick, NJ

When I had my RNY 7 years ago, I took off for 3 months. I probably didn't need to. But I had tons of accrued sick time, and it was summer and I live at the shore, So do the math. LOL :-).

I just had my Revision on Wed., May 10th and I feel fine now, Saturday May 13th. Just a little muscle cramping from all the pulling and tugging. I took off for 5 weeks this time and go back Jun 19th. Same reason as above. LOL. But basically to get use the new way of eating. I don't want to get dizzy at work or anything on so few calories.

Of course everyone is different, but this time I could have went back in about a week and a half.

IMHO, barring and complications, I think you'll be fine.

1st Goal: 190 lbs. - Achieved 8/3/2010
2nd: Goal: 165 lbs. - `Achieved 11/2/2010
Most Active
Recent Topics