VSG to RNY for GERD

Kathy8429
on 6/3/17 6:19 am

Hi everyone, I went for my yearly follow up last week, I was telling the surgeon about my GERD which has pretty much taken over my life. He told me that pretty much the answer is a revision to RNY. I was wondering what the changes are I will have to get used too. I am 4 years out from VSG. I have heard horror stories of people stretching out their stomach after .

The DR has scheduled tests over the next few weeks and he said we will go on from there

bruindiva92
on 6/3/17 7:07 am
Revision on 03/29/17

Hi Kathy8429,

I had a revision from VSG to RNY March 2017 due to bile reflux. I also had hiatal hernia repair.

You may find that food you could tolerate with the VSG may not be tolerated with RNY. You may dump--protein bars are a no go for me now. I definitely eat more dense protein (turkey, steak) which keeps me satisfied longer.

Best of all, the bile reflux is gone and I can sleep lying down!

Kathy8429
on 6/3/17 7:35 am

being able to sleep lying down would be refreshing!! I'm looking forward to it

unagordita
on 6/7/17 8:08 am

That's great also have acid reflux and am scheduled for surgery on the 28th, I'm scared about the surgery as well and I had a long time with my older sister who is concerned for me and she advises me not to have it done considering this time around there are more serious side effects. I am confused, a part of me needs to have it done, but the other part is scared. I know technology is more advanced and I feel confident with my surgeon. Any advice would be helpful.

stacyrg
on 6/5/17 1:50 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised to RNY from VSG last July 1 because of uncontrolled GERD. Really the only difference I've noticed is that I'm one of the unfortunate percentage who dumps and the worst part, for me, is that I've dumped on straight protein. So it's hard for me to plan meals that I know will be 100% "dump free." Dumping for me is heart palpitations, uncontrollable sweating and shaking. I've never thrown up as a result. Also, it seems to be mellowing a bit as I'm getting close to 1 year post revision. I don't think there's really an issue with stretching your stomach, but I'm hoping it will never be an issue for me as I weigh and measure all my food. I was able to sleep in the hospital pretty much flat on my back, which was nice, after going for more than a year sleeping sitting up.

Kathy8429
on 6/5/17 2:38 pm

I've had dumping and reactive hypoglycemia with the vsg... I don't imagine it would lesson. I sweat shake vomit and generally feel like I could die

stacyrg
on 6/5/17 2:42 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I didn't dump or have RH with my sleeve. I had the sleeve of steel. Dumping was the one thing that really concerned me and, sure enough, it's the one problem I have. I had a pretty bad RH episode over the weekend, and I'd take dumping over RH any day!

Kathy8429
on 6/5/17 3:21 pm

I agree. The hypoglycemia can be life threatening. For some reason I struggled to notice it in the early stages so my bs was as low as the 30s a few times

stacyrg
on 6/5/17 3:46 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I can feel it coming on because my body starts to radiate heat from the inside out and I start to sweat rivers. It's happened when I'm sleeping and then all bets are off.

unagordita
on 6/7/17 8:10 am

I'm worried about the as well, thank you for sharing.

Most Active
Recent Topics