Lap band to sleeve - something to consider

Doriam R.
on 7/19/17 11:22 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Hi everyone,

i had my one week post op today!!! Some good news to share and some other not so good. Here I go,

i lost 11 lbs this week, omg, that was sooo incredible, I know I will never have another week like this, all this water and diarrhea is to blame, but I am happy because to tell you the truth it has been a hell week to stay in clear liquids!!! So, he gave me the go ahead for full liquids!! So that is also welcome news!!!!

i can have shakes and maybe some different soups. I don't want chicken broth for a couple of days!!!!

So everything is going well however as you know I had a lap band and because my my lapbad aperently was too tight, even though I never felt restriction, weird, the reason why is apperently my esophagus grew and held a lot of food in it ??? sooooo that problem will not be corrected with my sleeve ???, so he told me I will not feel the restriction that other people with the sleeve have. Pardon my next word WTF !!!!!

My advice to people doing this revision, do a barium swallow before the surgery and check that you don't have this problem. He says I will still be able to lose weight but it may be slower and it will require more work on my side.... NOT happy about all this ... but nothing you can do. Has this happened to any of you???

If any of you have advice for me, please share. I can't go back and I will continue to do my part.

thank you so much for your support!!

Mary S.
on 7/20/17 6:15 am - Eden Prairie , MN
VSG on 05/15/17
I was told you will not feel restriction with the VSG. This is NOTHING like the band. That is why it is so important to weigh and measure food until your internal wounds heal. Follow the dietician's plan and what I find is that I can only eat about 1/4 cup of food at each meal. Still having Protein Shakes at 2 months, and I love Triple Zero Yogurt, but can only eat half of a yogurt. Remember, go slow. Walk and sip water. At two months, I am on a full meal plan, which is great. Try Pininterest, there are lots of great ideas there. Hope this has been helpful.

Original surgery 12/5/06 - 238

VSG 5/15/17 - SW 213.5, CW 203.5, GW 140

Doriam R.
on 7/20/17 7:30 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Thank you for telling me this, I will not lose hope. Yes, I will go very very slow!!!

Thank you!!! Best of luck in your journey!!!

Pebblessmp
on 7/21/17 2:15 pm

I had my band removed May 2016 then revised to the sleeve on 10-24-16 and I am down 115lb so far all from the surgery just measure your food and stick to all protein, it will work, I only eat 3 times a day and do not snack, if I feel the need for something I have nuts or a taste of fruit.

Doriam R.
on 7/21/17 4:21 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Thank you for your encouragement!!!

the thing that the doctor told me is that I have two pouches a big one in the esophagus and a small one in the stomach...

but i am committed to work hard

tcongratulations in your journey!!! Is amazing how much did you eat at the beginning?

keep in touch!!!! You are an inspiration to me!!!

airbender
on 7/22/17 7:45 am

what you were told is correct. megaesophagus is common with the lap band, this will get better with the removal of the lap band but it may never fully resolve. with the lap band it puts stress on the LES which causes a host of medical problems, one of which is this. your feeling will not be the same as if you were a virgin VSG patient. I had my lap band removed in 2010 and I have not felt restriction since then.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Doriam R.
on 7/22/17 10:37 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Did you have a VSG? I am very frustrated about it. I am glad you know what I am talking about, do you about anything I can do to help this situation?

fromfattohealthy
on 7/27/17 6:47 am - Canada

I am also a lap band revision patient, however I had RNY. Initially I wanted the Sleeve, but my surgeon (who placed my band and did my revision -no longer does bands) stated that RNY is a better alternative and I trusted him completely. My band had slipped, and I had no success. I don't have the same damage that you are explaining, but I did have a lot of scar tissue. Since my revision (May 16) I have lost 36lbs and am now in ONDERLAND. Yahoo!

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Most Active
Recent Topics