Thinking of not doing this

racemomss
on 8/21/17 6:35 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I am scheduled for Thursday. All is in place. I have had reservations on Bypass for years now. I have the bad GERD and I know its supposed to fix the acid reflux and also help on my regain of 60 pounds. I have been on liquids 10 days and constipation has set in. I have stopped losing weight on this only 10 pounds. I don't know if my age has something to do with it or not. I am now 45. Before I was 40 with my Sleeve. I am scared I will have all the complications. I am a single mom of 2 kids with no support from the father. I am also having my gallbladder out and hiatal hernia fixed as well. Can't lie I am down right scared.

Valapp
on 8/21/17 10:27 am

Everyone has second thoughts if they are doing the right thing. Perfectly normal. I had the lap band and revised to RNY in 2015 at age 70! Best thing I ever did for myself. Wish I had done it with my first WLS. The GERD can also be dangerous if you let it go on. I had horrible GERD before my surgery waking up at night with acid backing up into my throat and nose. I couldn't keep anything down, food got stuck constantly and I threw up. When I had the revision surgery, I was in the hospital for two days, came home and didn't need the pain meds and the GERD was gone! I understand you are scared. We all were prior to surgery, but it will be so worth it if you decide to go through with surgery. I wish you only the best results. Please let me know what you decide to do.

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

racemomss
on 8/21/17 11:25 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Thank you for your response. It has made me feel better. I am going to go forward with it. I called my surgeons office and it is needed they reassure me. I agree with you. If I let it go on it will be dangerous. I have had 2 Upper GI's and both times he was concerned about the cells and biopsied them. So far so good so I must move forward. Hopefully this time next week I will be home and feeling better. BTW you do not look 70! You look maybe 50!!

hollykim
on 8/21/17 12:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 21, 2017 at 5:27 PM Pacific Time, Valapp wrote:

Everyone has second thoughts if they are doing the right thing. Perfectly normal. I had the lap band and revised to RNY in 2015 at age 70! Best thing I ever did for myself. Wish I had done it with my first WLS. The GERD can also be dangerous if you let it go on. I had horrible GERD before my surgery waking up at night with acid backing up into my throat and nose. I couldn't keep anything down, food got stuck constantly and I threw up. When I had the revision surgery, I was in the hospital for two days, came home and didn't need the pain meds and the GERD was gone! I understand you are scared. We all were prior to surgery, but it will be so worth it if you decide to go through with surgery. I wish you only the best results. Please let me know what you decide to do.

it is incorrect to say everyone doubts if they are doing the right thing.

I had no doubts and couldn't wait to get on the table.

ljbarbara
on 8/21/17 1:30 pm

I will be 70 next year and my revision to RNY last year was the best decision ever. I was in the hospital two days and came home feeling better than I did after my original VSG.

It's normal to feel afraid, but really you'll find this surgery to be easier on you than getting sleeved. You've already had major surgery so you know what to expect now.

After having your gallbladder removed, your hernia repaired and your GERD fixed...you're going to feel mahvelous dahling!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

racemomss
on 8/21/17 2:25 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I am really hoping so. I should be ok with all this however we are talking about my food haha. I am seeing a counselor to help with my head issues to be sure I don't fall of that wagon again. It is good to know I should feel better than the sleeve. I ended up with dehydration after that so I am not going to let that happen again. Thank you for the encouragement.

ljbarbara
on 8/21/17 3:23 pm

Keeping hydrated is just as important as when you were sleeved. For some reason it seemed easier to stay hydrated after the revision. Maybe because I wasn't as "timid" with my new pouch as I was with my sleeve ?

You'll do just fine! Keep us posted.

Jessiadair
on 9/13/17 5:06 am
VSG on 11/16/15

Hi, I am in the process of getting approved for revision from VSG to RNY. I've gained 45 of 70 lost. Sleeved 11/16/15. Did u lose slower after revision? Did it stop the GERD? I too wake up choking on hot vomit and I have haital hernia. What issues have u had w RNY? I am also a sugar addict...do u have dumping syndrome? I am hoping I will have it-i think that is the only way I can get off of the sugar! Congrats on ur success! Also how was pain compared to VSG? I hate taking pain meds -I am planning on just taking them while I am in the hospital-don't want to bring a prescription home w me.

ljbarbara
on 9/13/17 11:18 am

Yes, the GERD stopped completely after my revision. It was pretty amazing! Also, I really didn't feel as much pain after the revision. My doctor said it was because I had already had a stomach surgery, so I knew more what to expect. I did not take any pain medications after I was discharged from the hospital. I only had pain medication on the day of surgery. That having been said, I have a very high pain tolerance. Each person is different and experiences vary.

I don't believe I dump. I haven't eaten anything like cake, cookies, candy etc. I know I can eat up to 15 gms of sugar in a serving with no problems. Dumping and fear of dumping are detriments for sure.

I was below goal weight when I had my revision so I did not lose or try to lose any more weight.

Do you have a date for your surgery yet? You will feel soooo much better once the GERD is gone! Feel free to message me if you have more questions or need some support.

Barbara

itsmekaren
on 8/21/17 5:18 pm - Waxahachie, TX

I thought i'd tell you , I have my revision on Wednesday. I had the Gastric Bypass back in 2003. Starting weight was 420. I am now 208. I keep trying to lose more, but just cant. I started having terrible pain in my stomach, or pouch. Honestly the pain would get so bad I thought it might kill me. Finally I went to ER and they did a CT scan. found out I had a fistula forming to connect to my old stomach that was left behind. So I'm having a revision/repair surgery on Wednesday. and BTW I'm 65.

I would hate for you to have the king of pain I was having. Its all cause from stomach acid. So I think it might be best that you have the surgery. Unless you really dont trust your surgeon. Then I wouldn't do it.

Best of Luck to you, whatever you decide to do..

Most Active
Recent Topics