Questions on vsg to rny surgery

Blueberry81
on 8/27/17 3:42 pm
VSG on 05/05/17

I had vsg on 5/5/17 hw 391 sw 371 ce 331. I've had every complication. Constant nausea, heart burn (gerd), vomitting, difficulty swallowing, dehydration and constipation. Pancreas enzyme issues and loe bloof pressure now. Been hospitalized a few times. Only lost 40lbs in the first 4.5 months. I have yet to return

I have been scoped, barium swallow and this week i have to do motility test and ph test.

I am scheduled to do rny on sept 13th....

Whats the post op recovery like? How long before you returned to work? How long before gerd went away? Did you reach your goal weight after revision (i have 100lbs to lose)? Did you have more complications after revision? How long was your hospital stay?

What should i expect after surgery?

Feeling stressed but i need to stop this GERD...

VSG 5/5/17 pre op diet weight 391 SW 373 M1:-19 M2:-12 M3:-7 M4:-7 RNY 9/13/17 SW 319.6 M1:-10 M2:-10.6 M3:-8 M4:-9.5 M5:-3 M6:-6

ljbarbara
on 8/28/17 1:46 pm, edited 8/28/17 6:47 am

I'm sorry you are having so many problems. Believe me, I know what it's like having unrelenting GERD.

Your post op recovery will be pretty much like it was after your sleeve surgery. You will probably find it to be easier because you know what to expect now with bariatric surgery.

In so far as returning to work, you can figure it most likely will take you the same amount of time it did with your sleeve surgery.

Your hospital stay will probably be 2 days depending on how you are doing.

You should ask your surgeon about what types of complications there may be following a revision surgery and what you should be looking for. The complication rate is very low. This is a safe surgery that has been around for a long time.

I personally was below goal when I had my revision so I worked on not losing any more weight. You can definitely expect to lose weight, but you have to follow the plan and really concentrate on taking advantage of the "honeymoon" period. Around 6 months to a year after your revision, you will lose the malabsorption factor of your revision and it will be much easier to gain weight.

My GERD went away the day of surgery and has not returned. Others I've spoken with have had the same results.

I hope I've been able to alleviate some of your stress. Feel free to ask more questions if you would like.

Barbara

r

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

Blueberry81
on 8/28/17 2:55 pm
VSG on 05/05/17

Thanks so much for the reply Barbara. It has relieved some stress. Now i just need to stay focused and positive in order to get through the surgery....

VSG 5/5/17 pre op diet weight 391 SW 373 M1:-19 M2:-12 M3:-7 M4:-7 RNY 9/13/17 SW 319.6 M1:-10 M2:-10.6 M3:-8 M4:-9.5 M5:-3 M6:-6

ljbarbara
on 8/28/17 2:59 pm

So happy I could help. Let us know how everything goes. I'll be thinking about you!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

stacyrg
on 8/29/17 10:11 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised from VSG to RNY on 7/1/16. My recovery was much easier than with my VSG. I was up and walking the night of my surgery, and when my surgeon came to check on me the next day, they had to send an aide to find me because I was doing laps. I was in the hospital for 3 days, the last day by choice. I was out of work for 9 days.

As far as weight loss, I really can't say. I was basically at goal at the time of my revision (it was due to severe GERD). I had gained about 10 lbs due to eating an abundance of crackers to help with the acid. I was able to lose that pretty quickly and now am 3 lbs up from my lowest. Trying to get back there now. My surgeon did tell me that weight loss is a bit harder after a revision, but I'm not sure it that will apply to you since your revision is so close in time to your original surgery.

As far as complications, I'm one of the unlucky few who have dumping syndrome. So, I had to modify the food I was able to eat. With my VSG, I could eat anything, now I have to be more careful. I also deal with reactive hypoglycemia, something I didn't deal with prior to revision. My GERD was basically gone in the hospital. I'm still on Zantac, but that's due to an issue with my esophagus and likely the same won't happen to you.

Good luck!!

Most Active
Recent Topics