Revision ???

burchs
on 10/20/17 6:03 pm - TX

I had the sleeve done in Houston in 2008 and paid cash. I lost 120 lbs and quit losing but felt 100% better, went from 22 pills to just a thyroid pill a day. In the last year I didn't have insurance or my thyroid medicine and have gained almost all of the weight back, going back on the cpap machine and always feel like crap. I'm always out of breath and my stomach makes all kinds of noises and hurts constantly. I live in Maryland now and went to a seminar in Annapolis and ask about a revision and was told that since I gained the weight back that they wouldn't do a revision. My question is how do you know if it's medically necessary and do you have to go through a 6 month or year process if it is. When I first had it done in 2008, there was no support system. You went and paid $12,000 and had it done and went back in 2 weeks to check it. I know now you need a support system for it to be successful and just need this to happen soon.

hollykim
on 10/21/17 7:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 21, 2017 at 1:03 AM Pacific Time, burchs wrote:

I had the sleeve done in Houston in 2008 and paid cash. I lost 120 lbs and quit losing but felt 100% better, went from 22 pills to just a thyroid pill a day. In the last year I didn't have insurance or my thyroid medicine and have gained almost all of the weight back, going back on the cpap machine and always feel like crap. I'm always out of breath and my stomach makes all kinds of noises and hurts constantly. I live in Maryland now and went to a seminar in Annapolis and ask about a revision and was told that since I gained the weight back that they wouldn't do a revision. My question is how do you know if it's medically necessary and do you have to go through a 6 month or year process if it is. When I first had it done in 2008, there was no support system. You went and paid $12,000 and had it done and went back in 2 weeks to check it. I know now you need a support system for it to be successful and just need this to happen soon.

you have to have tests done, like an EGD, a scope, to see if there is some damage to your sleeve that caused you to gain so much back.

Usually, the sleeve is still fine and it is a user issue.

have you tried eating high protein and low carb and seeing if your sleeve is still in good shape and working? Often it is what has been eaten that is the problem.

alcohol, pasta, white flour products, smoothies, Starbucks, carbonated drinks,fruit and grains are the problem food and cause many to stop losing and began to gain.

burchs
on 10/22/17 4:29 pm - TX

Thank y'all so much for the information... looks like I have a lot to look into and decide. I have had labs and deficient in D and B, I have been back on the thyroid medicine Levothyroxine 225 mcg for a couple of months now and just had a bone scan done. Just need the energy to get back to the gym and eating right.

Amy R.
on 10/21/17 8:01 am, edited 10/21/17 1:02 am

^^^ yep. This.

You'll want to get a scope or some such to make sure your sleeve isn't stretched or damaged. Many practices won't do revisions if the sleeve is still structurally sound, unless GERD or other illnesses could corrected by going to RnY. There are several people here on OH who have gone from the sleeve to RnY for that reason.

But if you're determined to get a revision regardless you'll likely to find someone who will do it for you. There are doctors who aren't as concerned about your overall health as they probably should be.

I do understand the lack of support thing. I had my surgery in 2008 and it's amazing how many changes/improvements have been made to the industry since then.

And, I also had large regains (one was 50 pounds) but was able to lose them by simply switching the refined carbs out of my diet. You might want to try that. By eating protein first, then non-carby veggies and eliminating refined sugars the weight should come back off. If that works - and it should - you can save yourself some money and avoid putting your body through another round of surgery.

Eventually we all have to modify our diets to remain successful. You can have a revision every day and still will have to face dietary changes after the immediate effects of surgery wear off.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.. Oh, and you may want to do a search for 'regain' and take a look at all of the information that comes up here. So many different experiences.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/21/17 9:12 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Ditto to what those above said.

Ate you on thyroid meds again? That's oriority number one. And have ALL of your other labs done. Iron, ferritin, B12, D3, and so on. And a bone density scan. Being so far out ftom surgery and not staying on top of those things, you likely have a lot of deficiencies.

Do all of these things, plus the scope/scan first. You need a lot more informstion before you even think about a revision.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 10/21/17 10:39 am

Since you have the sleeve, you could ask your surgeon about revising to the DS so that you add the malabsorption part, but even that is no guarantee you will lose the weight. The mental part of this is the hardest. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 10/21/17 2:24 pm - Warren, OH

Keep in mind that average weight loss from a revision is 20 pounds. From the liquid diet before and after surgery. There are exceptions, of course, and you may be one.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mini.me
on 10/26/17 8:17 pm

What is this based on? Are there some articles I could read?

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...

White Dove
on 10/26/17 8:38 pm - Warren, OH

Nope, an honest surgeon will tell you to expect about 20 pounds of loss, but also will warn you that you may not lose any weight. But they don't publish articles on it. It is a lucrative business for them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mini.me
on 10/26/17 8:41 pm, edited 10/26/17 1:47 pm

Weird - my surgeon said I would probably not hit 125/127 which was my lowest point with Sleeve, but very confident that I would get to 140 or lower.

Why wouldn't someone loose if they revise their tool to work again?? Really confused.

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...

Most Active
Recent Topics