Sleeve Revision Update #2

Donna L.
on 12/30/17 9:20 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Is it update #2? Well, it is now! I can't even keep track of where I put my keys, forget my posts...

At any rate, the pulmonary clearance and psych clearance were complete. The cardiac clearance took like two months, eesh, however this worked out well because last week I contracted the flu, B strain, which was not even in the flu shot. I have several autoimmune disorders so it was an...interesting experience. However, the clearance being so far off worked well since surgery would have had to be pushed back regardless.

I also was diagnosed with lymphedema and lipedema. I started the lymphedema treatment, which is having to wrap my legs every day with compression bandages. There are special inelastic (non-stretchy) garments we ordered that will replace these, however they can only be obtained from one place in Germany (only 1-2 places in the world make them at all) so it's annoying, though I am grateful I can do it. My lymphedema is still in early stages so it is easy to miss by doctors. I am also grateful it was caught, because it will never be as bad as you may have seen on TV or online. It will require constant maintenance, though.

The lipedema will be helped by the lymphedema treatment somewhat, but ultimately this will require Yet More Surgery. Lipedema is a fat disease, and the only way to remove lipedema fat is by surgery. Eventually after WLS, I will have to get high-volume water-assisted liposuction. I am not looking forward to that...however, it will improve not just appearance but also insulin resistance and overall health, since keeping the diseased fat is worse in the long run.

The mental aspect of WLS revision is hard, particularly for me. I still really do not necessarily want to get the RNY, however given my health issues, particularly the severe GERD and Celiac, it's the best option of all. It's interesting how much I have invested psychologically in having a sleeve in particular, and I was hoping to get the DS. My body has other plans, unfortunately...and I have to do what's best for my autoimmune issues coupled with the GERD trouble. This psychological change has been the hardest, because it's troubling to wrestle with in many ways, and I wonder where my strong attachment comes from. I have no idea!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics