Gastric Bypass to a Duodenal Switch

Solomomof2
on 3/6/18 6:12 am
DS on 03/21/18

I'm brand new to the group and sought it out bc I'm in a bit of a panic. After starting this process last July, jumping through all the hoops, I finally got the call last Friday that I had been approved to have my gastric bypass "reversed" and changed to a duodenal switch. They also approved gallbladder removal. This was the first I had heard anything of gallbladder removal. She said so let's schedule you for March 14th. I told her I'd call back and have not done so yet. I'm completely panicked. Just thinking of what I went through the first time. Can anyone tell me if this recovery is better, worse, the same? I'm also having a hiadal (no idea how to spell that) hernia fixed. It just sounds like so much. How long before you were up and functioning again? Did anyone else have a gallbladder removed? Is this typical? I'm a single mom with zero backup. I'm worried that I'm being selfish and what if something happens my kids will be orphans. Do I wait until they can manage on their own which is at least another 11 years if I'm lucky. I've already spent so much money just to get approved. Six months of copays and classes and psych visits - all out of pocket. I really would just like to find someone who has been through this who can tell me what to expect. Thanks.

babettes_feast
on 3/6/18 10:51 am

I completely understand your panic, especially as regards your children. Maternal instinct trumps everything! That said, you have plenty of time to do what you need to to make moving forward comfortable for you. You have time to draw up a simple will that names guardians for the children. I know that might sound scary but it's a total relief once it's done Remember: whether you have complications in surgery or not, everyone of us lives with the uncertainty about our own death every day. You could get hit by a truck, etc....

Onto having the surgery. I don't know your numbers but I'm assuming you want to get healthy. That's the best gift you can give your children and I yourself. I stress yourself because as mothers we are *always* putting others first often at our own expense.

Maybe instead of thinking about 2-3 weeks from now you should envision where you want to be in 1 year, 5 years, etc., and what you need to do to get there. Maybe the best thing you can do for your children is to have the surgery.

Pebbless611
on 3/7/18 12:46 pm
Revision on 01/29/18

Hi I completely understand you! I can tell you my experience and you can decide for you. I had a GBP 13 years ago and gained back 80 lbs. I decided after being in pain with my back and joints and then diabetes started which when i was thin wasn't an issue and also sleep apnea...snoring that people in China could hear me. I was depressed and just felt awful. I looked at all option and my medical Dr. said a lapband is a patch to the problem but a revision is fixing it. I then went to Dr Roslin in NY who travels the world teaching DS. He told me all risks and benefits...he also told me...ITS YOUR Decision and if you decide to go ahead with it then think positive and think of how it will affect you in a positive way. I really was terrified and thought about this for awhile before going forward. My surgery was 1/29/18. I did exactly was I was told to do, no exceptions! I will be on vitamins everyday for the rest of my life, but I am fine with that. I was scared to death, but desperate and wanted to be healthier for my kids and granddaughters. I had pain but not worse than the 1st surgery and it was alot of gas. They gave me pain meds by day 3... I was on Tylenol and doing ok. My difficult issue was gas. I was out of the hospital bed the morning of the second day. Its not fun the 1st week but day 5... I was released and with my pillow traveled home in a car 2 hours to PA. and didn't need pain meds. Its YOUR decision...I wish you health and success in life!! I hope this was helpful Sincerely, Wendy

Solomomof2
on 3/7/18 3:28 pm
DS on 03/21/18

You were hospitalized for 5 days!! Omg I thought it was in one day and out the next like the first time. Did they remove your gallbladder? Was the surgery 6 hours? I'm a single mom with 2 kids. I can't be hospitalized for 5 days. Ughh..I wish I had known that before spending so much money on this and driving 2.5 hours to Raleigh every month for 6 months.

hollykim
on 3/8/18 8:21 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 7, 2018 at 11:28 PM Pacific Time, Solomomof2 wrote:

You were hospitalized for 5 days!! Omg I thought it was in one day and out the next like the first time. Did they remove your gallbladder? Was the surgery 6 hours? I'm a single mom with 2 kids. I can't be hospitalized for 5 days. Ughh..I wish I had known that before spending so much money on this and driving 2.5 hours to Raleigh every month for 6 months.

her experience being in the hospital for 5 days may not be your experience.

That is a question for your surgeon.

Solomomof2
on 4/8/18 7:09 pm
DS on 03/21/18

I'm only supposed to stay in the hospital overnight. I'm still on the fence but scheduled June 20th as my surgery date. At this point I'm 65% sure I will have the surgery but it changes hourly.

Most Active
Recent Topics